Can't see currency conversion fees when receiving money

kevindixon
Contributor
Contributor

How do I see what conversion fee paypal charges when receiving money?
A person sent me $US, but I received it in $CDN.  There is no record of what $US were sent, how they were converted and what fees were charged.  In my transaction activity I only see $CDN which is less than what it should be according to the currency conversion fees.  I feel Paypal is cheating me here.

Also why is it auto-converting to $CDN since the person sent $US?  I have both $US and $CDN balances, $CDN is primary, but I have received $US in the past.

Very frustrating and not transparent of paypal.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPalMichelleW

Hi @kevindixon,

Welcome to the Community!  That's a great question.  Here's an article from our Help Center on Where to find PayPal's currency exchange rates.  I hope this helps.  

Thanks!

MichelleW

Login to Me Too

kevindixon
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is I have no way to verify what the other person sent in $US.

I looked up the conversion fee and did the calculation, and it seemed I was short several dollars.  There was no record of where that money went.  Was it a paypal fee or was the incorrect amount of $US sent?  Its also possible the conversion rate had changed.

There needs to be more transparency here.  It would be much better if paypal gave all the information ie. $US sent, converted at such-and-such rate, addional fee of $X, and finally the amount received in $CDN.

Login to Me Too

kevindixon
Contributor
Contributor

Let me give you an example.

I was sent $420 US, the exchange rate is 1.33, so this should convert out to $558 CDN.  According to the paypal conversion fees, paypal takes 2.5%, so I should have received $558-2.5%=$544. 

But I actually received only $536 CDN!  Where did the $8 go?  This seems like an additional hidden fee.  Is there any way to see this information?

This is before the normal paypal transaction fees BTW.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.