2 personal accounts and 1 business account - bad idea?

hedgehog90
Contributor
Contributor

Until a few weeks ago I just had a business account and a personal account. The business account relates to an entirely separate entity to the following.

Recently I've taken responsibility for a website that will receive PayPal donations, so I set up a new PayPal account that users can directly donate to.

I've just received 2 donations via this new account, first I was sent £2 (-$0.36 fee) as part of a monthly subscription plan and then I was sent a one off donation of £50 (-£1.75 fee).

The £50 donation however immediately went on hold and I will not have access to those funds for 21 days.

I'd like to know if there's a better way to receive donations, maybe using my pre-existing business account... there are a couple reasons why I didn't use it in the first place: The donation fund is effectively a shared pool that a group of us can dip into (ideally) and I didn't want to upset anyone in the team by taking sole ownership of the account (that said - as sole owner of the server and the site's admin, it makes some sense for me to be responsible for funds which will mostly be dedicated to server costs). Also, the business account email address <removed> appears to be completely unrelated to the site in question <removed>, which would be confusing to donators.

Would a business account incur a lower transaction fee or provide any advantages over a personal account for these purposes? It seems terribly unfair that a $2 donation would incur an 18% transaction fee. The fee might seem insignificant but if a group of people did small monthly donations then it would really rack up.

Perhaps there's a better way to receive one off or monthly donations besides PayPal? However it should be noted that the money mainly goes towards server upkeep which is paid every month via PayPal.

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

UncleE
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @hedgehog90,

PayPal offers a discounted rate for donations and charities. I've included this link, that may help you on how you can take advantage of using PayPal for such.

Login to Me Too

hedgehog90
Contributor
Contributor

I just found out it is a very bad idea on receiving this message:

chrome_gbFvbBWGLE.png

I don't suppose there's any way to retrieve these funds before the 180 day time limit?

It's pretty important I get those funds moved ASAP.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.