"Cancellation" is misspelled

mathman628
Contributor
Contributor

Does Paypal know that its spelling of 'cancelation' (referring to invoices) is wrong?  How do I/we notify them?  Both canceled and cancelled are 'correct', e.g., but cancelation is not.  Witness (emphasis added):

From Google Dictionary (questions): 

Canceled or cancelled is the past tense of the verb to cancel. Both spellings are correct; Americans favor canceled (one L), while cancelled (two Ls) is preferred in British English and other dialects. However, there is only one correct spelling of the word cancellation, no matter where you are.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

mathman628
Contributor
Contributor

Aha, interesting!!  Thanks!  Differing 'experts'.  🙂   Would have preferred this response, rather than sarcasm, the first time. 🙂  

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mathman628

Not if you use correct English (options) it isn't.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cancelation

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mathman628
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass wrote:

@mathman628

Not if you use correct English it isn't.

Don't understand you.  'Cancellation' is correct, according to Google Dictionary, and 'cancelation' (which Paypal uses) is not.  What am I missing?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mathman628

Despite the widely used form of canceled vs. cancelled in American English, the word cancellation is still much more widely used than the variant cancelation.

The usage of two ls is a remnant of British English, remaining even after American English instated spelling changes[1].

Regardless, the choice to spell the word as either cancellation or cancelation is entirely arbitrary.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too
Solved

mathman628
Contributor
Contributor

Aha, interesting!!  Thanks!  Differing 'experts'.  🙂   Would have preferred this response, rather than sarcasm, the first time. 🙂  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mathman628

Couldn't see anything in my first post that was sarcastic.

Sorry will make sure that I add you to my list for non-response to any posts in the future, would hate for that to happen again.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

mathman628
Contributor
Contributor

I rest my case.  🙂  

Have a good one.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mathman628

Ditto and your welcome.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

mathman628
Contributor
Contributor

Can't resist:  It should actually be "Thanks and YOU'RE welcome."  🙂

@kernowlass wrote:

@mathman628

Ditto and your welcome.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mathman628

Yep but then this is an advice forum and I was not the one posting to query a spelling mistake made by Paypal when it wasn't, was I?

I reply with advice to as many posts as possible so spelling / punctuation is the least of my concerns when trying to save folks from being scammed etc, shame it seems to be your priority.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.