Two Factor Authentication - "Trust this Device" NEVER WORKS - is my account compromised?

decker12
Contributor
Contributor

No matter what I do, Paypal never "trusts this device" on my desktop computer. Every time I try to use Paypal, I have to sign into it with a username and password and then grab my phone to input a new 2FA code. Then I get an email from Paypal telling me that there's a new login "from a device we don't recognize.".

Doesn't matter if I "Trust this device" with the checkbox or not. The checkbox does nothing. I've had this problem for many, many months.

My IP address hasn't changed, my computer hasn't changed, my browser hasn't changed, absolutely nothing has changed on my system from when I used Paypal last night to when I'm using it this morning. Doesn't matter if I use Chrome or Firefox or Edge. Every time I log into it, I have to re-auth using 2FA. 

I don't mind the inconvenience of using 2FA, but I am concerned because I have 2FA enabled on at least 15 different websites and none of them ask me to renew it every time I reboot my computer. They'll ask me for a new code every month or every couple of weeks, and for my higher security sites, every week or so. They all seem to have their act together with 2FA. That tells me there's something wrong with Paypal if it can't seem to ever verify my device or browser.

Does this mean that Paypal's two factor authentication has a problem if it can't ever decide to trust a device or not? Should I not trust Paypal to handle my money because there's some never ending glitch in it's 2FA process? Doesn't make me feel very secure when you're specifically telling a vendor to trust your device and accept future logins, but then the vendor basically refuses to authorize your request and both emails you a warning, and refuses to actually trust your device.

What's the fix? Serious answers only, please no form letters telling me to do the things I've already done 10 times trying to fix it.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.