Trying to open a Paypal account in Rwanda

LTM1
New Community Member

Hi,

I'm trying to open a paypal account in Rwanda but neither myself nor several other people whose phones I've tried are receiving the messages from paypal to sign up. 

I have a personal account in the UK, and I need the account in Rwanda for a specific reason - I've tried calling the phone number but all I get is an automated message saying that the lines are both closed because of Corona, and 'open between 6am and 4pm GMT' (which makes no sense). I've not managed to get through to a person; I only ever get the automated message when I call. You can't actually email anyone without having an account to log into, and I've tried emailing via THIS uk account, but all I get is a message saying I have to email via the account I want to discuss - which I can't do, because I can't actually open it in the first place.

I can see other people have also had this problem and no-one has managed to help them. Can anyone supply a number or email address or some form of contact for getting through to a real human? It would be much appreciated.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LTM1 

You can open a paypal account in Rwanda as long as you are a resident in Rwanda.

You can't open another countries paypal account as paypal is country specific and you need to add an address / phone number / financial info from that country.

Also the option to 'receive' paypal payments is sadly not available in Rwanda.
You can only 'send' payments for purchases.

Paypal varies a lot country to country and can only offer the services that the banks / governments of that country allow it to offer.
There are quite a few countries unable to receive paypal payments.

https://www.paypal.com/ga/webapps/mpp/ua/residence-full

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.