Spammer?

niadams
Contributor
Contributor

I received a bid for an item on sale at eBay. The person contacted me privately via my number and said he had a problem. The problem turned out to be that he wanted to pay me directly through PayPal and not go through eBay. I replied that I would not and could not give him my PayPal address and that he would have to go through eBay. He withdrew his offer.

He had my phone number. I can block his number. But can he access my PayPal account without my email address? I cannot change my mobile number at PayPal. Is that a problem?
 Thank you. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@niadams 

He was a scammer trying to get you to do a direct paypal transaction so you would be fooled by spoof fake paypal emails.

Probably using a hijacked ebay account but can't go via checkout as they don't have a paypal account and have no intention of paying.

Once they know you are not going to fall for it they move on to another possible victim.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@niadams 

He was a scammer trying to get you to do a direct paypal transaction so you would be fooled by spoof fake paypal emails.

Probably using a hijacked ebay account but can't go via checkout as they don't have a paypal account and have no intention of paying.

Once they know you are not going to fall for it they move on to another possible victim.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

niadams
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you. I guess I stepped back in time. Very much appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.