June 30, 2018 deadline for updating browser

btmullenix
Contributor
Contributor

I have an ordinary account (but my debit card says 'Business' on it).  I just use PayPal to purchase items from e-bay (mostly).  My browsers are already at the top of their abilities and I can't afford to purchase a new computer.  Am I really not going to be able to see my PayPal account after 6/30/18?  Am I supposed to withdraw my money and close the account?  Seriously, what are 'poor' people supposed to do here?  I'm on a fixed income and have to watch every penny, and am unable to accommodate PayPal's upgrade request.  Would it make a difference if I had a personal account, in which case, how do I change from Business to Personal?  (Don't know how I got on Business in the first place).  I read the policy information and am completely lost, as I have no idea what all those initials stand for or if I use them to make purchases.  And even if I can continue to make purchases, if I can't see my account, I won't be able to track purchases or ask questions.  This is all very confusing for non-computer literate elderly people!

Login to Me Too
148 REPLIES 148

luxrosarium
Contributor
Contributor

Hello. This is my first time looking at the PayPal community and I don't know where I'm supposed to post questions like this. I hope it's not a big issue to post it here.

I've gotten emails about the TLS 1.2 upgrade stuff, and recently got an actual letter about it. Upon going to the tlstest.paypal.com link, I got the PayPal_Connection_OK page. I did this before during the email stuff, and I still got this success message when I got the letter.

The way things are worded in the mail and when I tried to look for information on other sites, it seems like it's more related to websites, but I'm not sure. I don't use a website for selling anything; I always go by invoices, and occasionally get donations through Ko-fi. I'm not very tech-savvy, so this is all very confusing and giving me some anxiety. Am I getting these warnings just as a precaution, or am I doing something wrong?

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

You're not doing anything wrong - see this previous post as it may answer a few questions - for the most, as you don't have a web site, the security updates would mostly affect your web browser or browsers and could possibly  prevent you from viewing a site.  Not  to worry, the solution is very easy as you will see.

Login to Me Too

dugg
Contributor
Contributor
Hello there
I received from PayPal a notice that my browsers were out of date & that I must update them by June 30 or I will be blocked from using PayPal.
What worries me is that all my browsers are already up to date. So it seems that PayPal has misread the status of my browsers. So if, by June 30, PayPal continues to misread my status, I will be blocked.
There does not appear to be any way of contacting PayPal about this.
Does anyone know what is going on?
Thanks for your help.

John D Martin
Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

If your browser's are up to date - then you should be fine.

For more info, see this previous post.

Login to Me Too

Randy49
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone else been getting this from PayPal? Our records indicate this Merchant Security Testing impacted you. "you will need to update your PayPal integration(s) to TLS1.2 PRIOR to June 2018 to avoid further service interruption" My IT guy keeps telling we're in compliance yet I keep getting this fro PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

If you're up to date, you should OK - there are more details here from a previous post with similar concerns.

Login to Me Too

pattiT
Contributor
Contributor

Received email from Paypal saying it would stop working June 30th unless I upgrade to Transport Layer Security.  What is this about & should I do anything about it?  Does it concern me, b/c it has merchant also included in email?

Login to Me Too

seals1119
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone else gotten a email stating that PayPal will stop working unless you upgrade? The following is part of the message I have gotten.

PayPal will stop working on 30th June if you don’t upgrade to TLS

PayPal will stop working on 30th of June and merchants will be unable to accept payments if they’ve not updated their websites to the latest standards which includes an upgrade to TLS.

The deadline for merchants to upgrade to Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.2 June 30, 2018 and PayPal are requiring all merchants to upgrade their security protocols to TLS 1.2, in line with the requirements set by the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Council. The TLS protocol is used to encrypt communications between your platform and PayPal’s servers.

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

It's not just PayPal - it's a security update web wide - see this previous post as it may answer some of your concerns.

Login to Me Too

1moondancer
New Community Member

I got an email that paypal is stopping transactions soon, is it true?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.