In not sure how my potential customers pay me with PayPal

HanksGameBirds
Contributor
Contributor

I'm new to the service and don't understand how it works.for example on my advertising if I say PayPal accepted - how do I accepted it if they want to pay that way? How do they pay me with PayPal....

Thanks for any pointers,

Hank

Login to Me Too
36 REPLIES 36

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kattinsanity

Rubbish what I am posting affects both countries and the policy is the same.

I even changed the link for you from a UK link to a US link because you 'though' you had caught me out earlier when they were the SAME policy.

And where did the original poster state he was worried about 'unauthorised transactions' all he mentioned was accepting Paypal for items that he would personally deliver.

So for items personally delivered THERE IS NO PAYPAL SELLER PROTECTION.

And an unauthorsed transaction is a Paypal dispute.

A chargeback is done directly via the buyer credit card company so you can't even get that right.

And either way if they did that he would still have NO PAYPAL SELLER PROTECTION as he would not have PROOF OF DELIVERY.

If they had that protection then the folks in my links above wouldn't have been scammed.

So you carry on advising sellers to accept Paypal for items personally delivered and watch them being scammed.

I PREFER TO WARN SELLERS NOT TO ACCEPT PAYPAL FOR ITEMS THAT ARE PERSONALLY DELIVERED OR COLLECTED SO THAT THERE IS NO RISK AND THAT THEY GET PAID SAFELY.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kattinsanity
Contributor
Contributor

I'm done arguing but I do have one question.  You say "items personally delivered THERE IS NO PAYPAL SELLER PROTECTION."

My question is~~most sellers do not want a buyer to come to their homes and don't want buyers to know where they live.  It is a serious safety concern.  It has always been advised to meet the buyer in a public place away from your home to DELIVER THE ITEM to them.  I have only had a VERY FEW buyers come to my home and it has been people that I know.  I've had buyers pick up their items at a local business owned by a friend and I've met buyers at a local gas station to deliver items to them.  I think that would be considered "delivering the item to the buyer" and any smart seller does do that.

BTW~~in one of your "links" the poster said that after reading paypal policies he saw the "loophole" had been closed where buyers no longer had INR protection on local pick up items.

I have never/nowhere in my posts advised anyone to pay for local pick up items through paypal or told sellers to accept paypal for local pick up items.  I have only pointed out paypals policies on "paypal purchase protection". 

Now, I have 500 free listings to work on.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kattinsanity

Well seeings as you have lost the seller protection argument you have chosen to diversify on to location of delivery.

My question is~~most sellers do not want a buyer to come to their homes and don't want buyers to know where they live.  It is a serious safety concern

That is entirely up to seller and buyer and has nothing to do with seller protection paying with paypal.

If they choose to meet up at a cafe or bring a friend then thats fine, very sensible.

Not sure what you problem is even bringing that up?

Delivery or collection doesn't have to be at buyers or sellers house, in fact if they are paying cash and paypal is not even involved then it does not need to specify anything anyway.

BTW~~in one of your "links" the poster said that after reading paypal policies he saw the "loophole" had been closed where buyers no longer had INR protection on local pick up items.

Been down that route, if buyer files a claim for non receipt of item then the onus is on the seller to provide trackable proof of delivery. Most sellers are private sellers and so don't have websites that clearly state 'collection only' or Ebay auctions that state 'collection only' so they need to protect themselves by receiving cash on delivery / collection.

I have never/nowhere in my posts advised anyone to pay for local pick up items through paypal or told sellers to accept paypal for local pick up items.  I have only pointed out paypals policies on "paypal purchase protection". 

Shall I remind you then??  >>>>

Quote direct from you post.

I think it is a wise choice to want to use paypal to get paid up front before delivery so you won't get stiffed when you make the

delivery.

So as I said the above advice is very poor, I would never give that advice, I would warn the seller that they have no seller protection and advise cash on collection and then leave it up to them. As I said the advice you gave as per above is bad advice.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kattinsanity
Contributor
Contributor

OP wants to be paid up front before he drives all the way across LA to deliver.  In this case he would be wise to take paypal as the buyer isn't going to drive all the way across LA to pay him in cash, walk away empty handed, drive all the way across LA back home and then the OP has to drive all the way across LA to deliver.  Actually, depending on how many quail he is delivering he may be wise not to deliver~~make the buyer pick them up and pay cash on pickup.  BUT, if his situation requires him to deliver paypal is one way to get paid up front before delivery.  Do you have any other solution to him getting his money up front before delivering?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kattinsanity

There you go again, advising someone to accept paypal for an item that is to be delivered.

So instead of coming away with either his birds OR cash in hand, YOU would prefer he delivered the birds and then the buyer did a chargeback for non receipt of item or via their card issuer and the seller lost both birds AND money..............your advice just gets better and better  Smiley Frustrated

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kattinsanity
Contributor
Contributor

Again, do you have any other solution for him to get his money up front before delivery?  Also, buyers who purchase these birds are not the type of people to do a chargeback or to file an INR~~not the type of people who will scam a seller to get electronics, etc..  These quail are not a high risk item.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kattinsanity

So glad that you know EXACTLY who scams sellers and who doesn't, you are so clever, you must be unique.  

I don't care less how he gets his money upfront he can use whatever method he wants to.

It doesn't concern me one jot, ALL I am interested in is making sure he does NOT use Paypal for items that are personally collected or delivered.

I couldn't give a toss about whether quails are high risk or not, I am just posting to warn ANY sellers that they have no protection for items that are personally delivered or collected, then the decision of what they do is up to them. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.