Fees taken out for receiving money when this hasn’t happened before

Toddbeltz
Contributor
Contributor
I use PayPal quite regularly and receive money from various people, both businesses and individuals, who pay me for services rendered or goods sold. This is on a weekly basis. All has been great until today when I saw that money sent to me from someone, had a few taken out of it for nearly $3. This person is based in the US and was sending USD. So what gives? Have the policies changed? Why do I now get penalized for receiving funds from a US citizen in USD when this hasn’t happened before? Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Disappointing to say the least
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Toddbeltz 

you ALWAYS pay a fee as a seller of goods and services with a paypal account, thats how paypal funds their service and pays their staff !!

fees are deducted from the buyers payment before the remainder is credited to your paypal account balance.

the only time you don't pay a fee is if the funds are sent using the friends/family option (gift payment) BUT its against paypal rules to accept funds that way for goods/services because you are evading paying your fee and negating your buyers protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Toddbeltz 

you ALWAYS pay a fee as a seller of goods and services with a paypal account, thats how paypal funds their service and pays their staff !!

fees are deducted from the buyers payment before the remainder is credited to your paypal account balance.

the only time you don't pay a fee is if the funds are sent using the friends/family option (gift payment) BUT its against paypal rules to accept funds that way for goods/services because you are evading paying your fee and negating your buyers protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

AngelaBond007
New Community Member

This happened to me today too! I'm not selling anything. A coworker sent me money and they took out a fee. I'm trying to find a phone number for PayPal and I can't find one. So incredibly frustrating!!

Login to Me Too

Qiao
Contributor
Contributor
I got same issues when I received money.I amnot seller .it used to be free.I don’t get any reply and answer yet.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.