Pending funds policy for below standard (but trying!) users.

janicejoys
Contributor
Contributor

I have been an e-by user since 2004.  I have over 2,000 sales, no negatives or neutrals for six month...do my best to ship on time and usually lose money on my shipping....mark my items as paid and send tracking info...bla bla....However, I am, unknown to me because I don't see a the stars on the feedback, below standards.

There is over $400.00 in my paypal account, that I can't access to buy....issue refunds....etc.  I feel strongly that this is interfering with my ability to do business is a timely manner.  It is a lose...lose policy and frankly blackmail in my estimation...I have backup bank accounts and visa's, but what is paypal for....to pay and GET PAID!

Sorry, this is the first time I have been to the water cooler and I'm hot!!

Janice

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

82BeaMeR
New Community Member

I myself have been through every single page on PayPal that "explains" why my funds are unavailable to me & not one page gives you a clear, definite answer?!  I am curious to know what the magical mystery number is that your seller ratings must be at in order to receive your $$$ as it is paid & not have to wait an extended period of time to have access to it?!  This information should be posted on PayPal as it is part of their own policy & we as their customers have the right to know what it is!  This, to me, seems highly unprofessional.  You would NEVER see a real bank doing this to a customer.  They would be held legally responsible.  I am just starting out on eBay & have a good reputation.  I ship my items on time & just like you, I usually end up losing money.  My PayPal account is verifed.  I even have a PayPal debit card.  I have zero open disputes with eBay or PayPal.  Despite all of this, I must wait until 3 business days after my items have been delivered & confirmed before I am able to have access to MY $$$.  This, in my opinion, is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!  If I had a storefront & someone came in to purchase an item from me I would have thier $$$ in my possession before they even walked out of the store.  

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi janicejoys and 82BeaMeR, and welcome to the forums!

There are a couple of help pages on eBay which specifically address the matter of Below Standard ratings, how they're calculated, and how to improve them.

I suggest looking through the following:

eBay's 2011 Spring Seller Update, the Seller performance standards overview, and the US Seller Standards chart.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

wrunte
Contributor
Contributor

My account was put on hold and absolutely none of the reasons listed in any of the documents regarding why a hold would be established apply to me.  Zero negative reports or activity, 100% approvals, 28 sales transactions, over $38,000 in sales completed on an expedited basis and a six year sales record.

No one at PayPal is willing or able to give a specific reason as to why this has happened - just get sent off to go read the laundry lists as to why it happens.  Even the lists are not comprehensive- some have more detail than others.

So there also seems no means by which to correct or appeal this error.

Time to explore alternatives.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi wrunte, and welcome to the forums!

Is your hold stated to be because of Below Standard rating, the way the others in this thread have seen?

There are many different reasons for holds. The ones described in this thread are for new sellers or sellers who have a below standard rating. Holds may also be applied when other elements of risk exist. A few examples include:

• a rapid increase in sales over a short period,
  • a change in the type of item being sold and not enough history having been built in the new category,
  • a rise in disputes,
  • the type of item being sold having a higher risk of disputes and chargebacks (typically happens with name brand items, electronics, collectibles, and some other categories).

There are a few other reasons why holds may be applied to a long-standing seller as well. These factors are re-evaluated every 30-35 days, and holds may be removed if the circumstances change and risk factors are reduced significantly. The best way to do this is keep selling, ship immediately, and stay in contact with your buyers to prevent disputes.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

wrunte
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately this does not help.  I can't be sure I am "below standard" because there is no mention of that on my dashboard.  All I know is that funds are being held for no apparent reason.  None of the ossible reasons you mention apply to my account. None.

Why is it that PayPal cannot provide a specific reason?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi wrunte,

A specific reason cannot be given here because this is a general forum. Account-specific information cannot be provided or researched here. I'd be happy to help nail down some reasons though. The answers to the following questions can help:

What are you selling?

How long have you been selling the same type of item?

Were you selling anything else before that? What was it?

Has your volume increased significantly lately?

How many feedback have you received as a seller in the past 6 months?

What is the feedback percentage?

How many detailed seller ratings do you have?

What are the ratings?

Have you had any disputes lately?

Is all of the information on your account accurate and up to date? (Addresses, phone numbers, financial credentials, etc.)

I'll be glad to take a look at the answers and see if the reasons become apparent.

Olivia

Login to Me Too

wrunte
Contributor
Contributor

Answers

What are you selling?

Just sold a down parka and a jacket shell

How long have you been selling the same type of item?

I am not a store, and I do not have a business selling things.  I am a private, occasional seller on eBay.  

Were you selling anything else before that? What was it?

The last thing I sold was over a year ago- it was a GPS

Has your volume increased significantly lately?

Yes- went from zero to 2

How many feedback have you received as a seller in the past 6 months?

None- have not sold anything in last 6 months

What is the feedback percentage?

100%

How many detailed seller ratings do you have?

None.  There was no such thing during my last sale.

What are the ratings?

N/A

Have you had any disputes lately?

Never, ever.

Is all of the information on your account accurate and up to date? (Addresses, phone numbers, financial credentials, etc.)

Yes.

So now it appears the SOLE reason my funds are being held for the first time in 6 years, after complete buyer satisfaction and $38,000 in sales (one of which was a Rolls Royce convertible for $33,000)  is that I haven't sold enough lately.

And there is the problem.  You have established a selling performance metric system that is entirely geared to businesses and those who have a business selling on eBay.  There is no way I will ever qualify as a "Power Seller" or the other categories of sales performance.  I don't sell enough.   I am the private, occasional user, the kind of user upon which eBay and PayPal were originally created to serve.

I suggest you all consider different metrics for different categories of sellers.  Otherwise you're going to lose more people like me who are not in the business of selling things.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi wrunte,

Thank you for answering those questions. This makes a lot more sense now.

As someone who has only sold a few items in the history of your account, there is almost no established history of your selling to examine. Even if the decision were based solely on DSRs, Detailed Seller Ratings only show up on the Seller Dashboard after you've received 10 of them.

I can definitely relate to your position. I only sell an odd item now and then, though a handful of years ago I did sell more regularly. My payments are held just like yours. It's part of using PayPal to safely receive funds, and allowing my buyer the confidence of using PayPal to safely send funds. That safety is ensured because PayPal employs risk mitigation measures to protect all the parties involved in the transaction.

You're absolutely right - Paypal and eBay were created to level the playing field and give the casual seller the ability to sell competitively against the big retailers. This is done by giving buyers the confidence of knowing that whichever seller they choose, they're just as safe either way.

Even though I am not a business, for the purposes of every transaction I perform as a seller, I am conducting business. It is my obligation to see that the item I have sold is safely in the buyer's hands. That obligation is the same whether it is a brand new 4G phone being sold by a large retailer, or the boots that have been collecting dust in the back of my closet.

I hope this helps clarify things a bit. I want very much for you to have success in your transactions, whether you have 2 of them or 2000 of them. Fully understanding the process is the first step in getting there. Please let me know if I can clarify anything else.

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.