Scammed by a dishonest friend and PayPal is taking her side.

dylise
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal I'm INCREDIBLY disappointed - I have been reaching out to you guys with regards to this incredibly dishonest woman and her business, and I feel that because she's a big customer of yours you guys are siding her, and somehow just giving me automated responses despite me showing all the evidence etc that I had provided. 

I had MENTIONED MANY TIMES to PayPal, that she (and her business AngieMakesJoy) asked me for help as a friend to her pay her supplier in Bitcoin because for some reason (so fishy right?) she wasn't able to. She told me she'd wire the money to me via PayPal to help her pay for the transactions. I didn't know that in PayPal you can actually dispute payments after (and so far PayPal has not been helpful AT ALL and giving me automated responses and keep replying saying I'm the one who reported it as unauthorized when in actual fact it was HER), and stupidly trusted her enough to do so. After I paid in bitcoin to her supplier, she claimed the supplier disappeared, of which after she also disappeared and disputed her payment back to me. 

I have all the whatsapp calls and conversations to prove that she had willingly wired all these money to me, of which after she had been dishonest and marked them as unauthorized transactions. To my utmost disappointment, PayPal even sided with her on this despite all my evidence and police reports against her and her business. 

How is Paypal protecting end users like myself? Just because she is a bigger customer you guys are taking her side? They even gave me automated responses like calling the hotline to get someone to help me, but then each time I call through they say that the hotline is disabled due to the coronavirus situation. What is this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so so upset, that even with all the evidence you guys are still siding her. It just makes people like her get away with things like that and become even worse and even more dishonest than she already is!

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dylise 

Sadly you were scammed, you should read up on how paypal works before you start using it.

If that person was not a close friend why on earth would you pay her supplier for her and secondly who pays their supplies by bitcoin if they have paypal accounts.

Sorry but red flags all the way here, but paypal can't save you from your own mistakes. I expect she paid using friends/family and then reported it as unauthorised or did a chargeback. Sadly you accepted that gift payment and so had no seller protection. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

dylise
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

I think you're completely missing the point. I'm not talking about it being my fault or whose fault. Of course I should NOT have trusted her. But that's not the point. The point being is that she had willingly and even sent me screenshots of her sending money to me on PayPal, of which after she actually dares to say that they were unauthorized and PayPal agreed with her, despite all the evidence etc that I have shown them, both calls and messages that it IS her, and she HAD made those transactions willingly. 

And now all i'm mostly getting in the message centre with the Call centre disabled due to the virus situation, are automated responses which are not even related to the topic at hand. I can't even get someone to properly view this case seriously!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dylise 

Nope not missing the point, and i see you did not confirm that she sent the funds using the friends/family option?

An unauthorised transaction means that an account holders Paypal account was hacked and used without their consent by your ?buyer?sender of the money.
If Paypal check IP addresses etc and find in favour of the account holder then of course they are reimbursed.

However you would not lose out either as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, HOWEVER if she sent using the friends/family option then you would have 0 protection as it was a 'gift' of money and so was not covered by seller protection. 

Paypal take no notice of screenshots / chat / messages or anything else, they check if the payment was unauthorised and if they think it is then the sender gets their money back. They also reimburse you if it was a goods/services payment and you met seller protection, it either was not a goods/services payment or you did not meet seller protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

dylise
Contributor
Contributor
Still missing the point. And yes she sent it under buyer seller transaction. Now what is your advise then? You seem to be awfully confident.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dylise 

If she sent it using goods/services then if paypal found it was unauthorised then you would be reimbursed under their seller protection policy.

But part of that policy states that once you have received payment you need to send the item trackable to prove delivery of an item to the buyer before you are covered by seller protection.

As you were not selling an item but dealing in a virtual / digital transaction then you were not covered.

Yes you were scammed but put it down to a learning curve as paypal protection does NOT cover you in this instance and so they can't bail you out with their own money.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

dylise
Contributor
Contributor
I'm not asking them to bail me out on their own money I'm asking them to open their eyes to see that all her transactions were legimate and in no way unauthorized, and that they should be clawing the money back from her. Until now you're still missing the point. I get that you're a so called advisor but instead of being a keyboard warrior maybe in this case you should just ask PayPal for a job.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dylise 

If she used another IP address or device to make the transaction then paypal would approve the unauthorised dispute. 

I can only give you the facts but sadly not the intelligence to understand those facts.

I can see now how you were so easily scammed.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.