Paypal response to wanting to report a scammer: anyone else get this disappointed?

Verushka56
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't found any information through which to report a scammer so I had to call Paypal. 

I got put through to someone who kept saying they would only limit an account when a requisite number of complaints about it came in -- however, she wouldn't tell me how many that is OR why they wouldn't limit the account when I can show them messages of the scam, and prove I can no longer contact the scammer bc he's blocked me from messaging him on Facebook. I would argue that is a bit of a red flag and worth some sort of investigation or limitation on their part of the account. 

I have reported the page to Facebook and Scamwatch -- I have to admit, it's remarkably impressive how companies like Paypal and Facebook create arbitrary rules that somehow or the other always mean they exert the least amount of energy and manpower in addressing scammers that work on their site. 

They really are of the opinion that they are happy to let people get scammed, and only those who are tech savvy enough to navigate their incomprehensible help pages should deserve for their cases to be addressed. 

Anyone else experience responses like this? It genuinely doesn't seem like they are taking me seriously if they are so quick to want to was their hands of me. I've asked for an escalation and a call back, but I anticipate being ignored. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Verushka56 

The way you deal with scammers is if someone does not ship your order or ship you something significantly not as described, you open the appropriate dispute to try to get your money back, as per:

What should I do if I have a problem with my PayPal purchase?

If the PayPal dispute/claim does not pan out, you may go to your payment method to dispute.

People should do due diligence and exercise a common sense approach when buying from a merchant, or an ad these days (like, don’t expect to get an LV bag for no $27, for instance). Just can’t go around buying from just anyone.

PayPal does not have any control or guarantee over the services and items you buy from a PayPal user using PayPal services:

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_AU#disclaimer-warranty

Unless they employ extreme draconian methods and it’s bad enough as it is with account/transaction level holds PayPal currently use.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Verushka56
Contributor
Contributor

Yup, I'm aware of everything you have in your post.

I'm trying to ensure other people don't get scammed by the same person -- Facebook will take their own sweet time dealing with the Facebook page, and this was the next thing on my list to do -- I can't in good conscience not try my best to do something about this guy. I don't want anyone else to get caught b y this guy and this account. I don't need a refund -- I need paypal to step up and do something about this person. 

Login to Me Too

1LaConner
New Community Member

I was told exactly the same thing that there would need to be enough complaints about the particular account before they would do anything about it.  I am just now trying to find a way to provide PayPal with additional backup information that these people are scammers via Craigslist. What a shame Zelle and PayPal allow people to continue scamming when someone has taken the time to notify them about it. I guess it answers my question whether if I had used PayPal if I would have had any recourse. Likely not.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.