Problems with Negative Balance

arodzcornier
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, I received an e-mail a couple of days ago telling me that my transaction failed because “The bank is disputing the Direct Debit Instruction (DDI)” I contacted my bank and they said that everything is ok and that the issue is with PayPal. This is the first time I use PayPal and I’m don’t understand what this means. In addition, I tried again to “add money” to my negative balance and I can’t. Then I tried to remove the bank account to see if by adding it again “reset” the issue,but PayPal it don’t let me to do it.Please Help !
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Michael

Hello, @arodzcornier. Having an issue with a transaction and a negative balance is certainly a concern! I hope the following information is helpful.

I understand your bank told  you there is an issue with PayPal, but PayPal doesn't cause transactions to fail. That only happens when we receive notification from a bank that there's a problem of some sort. Whoever you spoke with at your bank may not be aware of a notification sent to PayPal, but the message “The bank is disputing the Direct Debit Instruction (DDI)” absolutely indicates a notification was received and caused the transaction to fail.

When a bank transfer fails, a debit is placed on a PayPal account to recover money that must have been sent to a merchant on a customer's behalf. If there is no money in the balance, that would cause a negative balance. A negative balance should be recoverable by adding money from a bank account, but it's likely your bank account was disabled due to the notification from your bank. PayPal does that in order to avoid additional problems.

You may be able to link a different bank account to your PayPal account and use it to add funds, or you could receive a payment from someone to address a negative balance. If those options are not available, it likely will be necessary to contact Customer Service via phone or chat or send a message via your account. To do that, please log on, click Contact at the bottom of any page, and then select the topic that best fits your concern.

I hope this is helpful. Thanks for your patience during this time.

Sincerely,

Michael

PayPal_Michael

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.