Paypal Currency Fees

300sflyer
Contributor
Contributor

So I have been a Paypal / Ebay customer here in Canada for the better part of 20 years. I do more buying than selling. I have a Canadian bank Visa Card in US dollars, linked to my Paypal Account. For years this has worked just fine, as most of my Ebay purchases were in the US, and I simply payed with Paypal, and Paypal would take those fees from my US dollar credit card. No exchange fees charged.

Recently, I have come to learn that Paypal now converts my Ebay purchases in US funds to Canadian dollars, and then charges my US dollar credit card. My credit card company then converts the charge back to US funds, and puts it on my statement.

My most recent purchase was for $763.45 US, which Paypal converted to $979.92 Canadian, which my credit card company then converted back to US funds at $819.08. This purchase alone has cost me an extra $55.63 US! I have come to find out this has been going on for several years, and has cost me at least an extra $500.00 US!

I have spoken to Paypal about this both on the telephone, and through their message system, and got nowhere... Their response was that because I live in Canada, that is the way it has to be... What a bunch of <removed>!

Frankly, I think they are just raking in the extra money because they can!  I am still looking at other options to try to get my money back.

This is warning to other Canadians, who use a US dollar credit card!

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.