PayPal country specificness - can I link an other country's credit card? Money transfers?

JojaHan
New Community Member

Hey there,

I just opened a PayPal account, but I'm not sure how it works. Tried to google, but did not clarify it all. Some details:

- I'm based in Indonesia, have an Indonesian phonenumber, and a bank account here. But the Indonesian Visa debit card is sometimes tricky, not sure why.. maybe because it's debit card and on some websites they just dont allow payments with the card.

- I'm originally from Finland, have a bank account there, but not based there anymore. The Finnish Visa credit card though is the most reliable, and has worked everywhere.

- I also have a bank account in Australia with an Australian debit card. This sometimes works, sometimes not. But works more reliably then the Indonesian card.

So now I closed my former Paypal from Finland (which I never used), and opened a new Paypal account which is based in Indonesia, as here I have address, phonenumber and a bank. But now I dont know how it works legally and practically with the bank etc... as my Indonesian debit card has made troubles. I dont even know if linking the bank will work... or will be somehow complicated...

So now in my account settings, ...

- Linking the Indonesian debit card, seemed to go through, though I havent tried to pay anything with it yet.

- I also linked my Australian card on the Paypal, and it seemed to take it, but also have not tried it.

----- )I was surprised that this was possible, as I thought the bank and cards needs to be in the same country as the phonenumber and the address? Or can you link different country cards on the Paypal? 

- I havent tried yet to link it to a bank account, no idea how to do this, of if this will work, can i skip this? Does this mean, that I cant transfer any funds to a bank, or can I transfer them on the cards as a balance to buy things?

My question is about the preferred payment method on Paypal.. and how to transfer money between the cards and my bank.

I'm supposed to receive some money from a friend through Paypal, which is half the amount of a flight ticket. So the other half of the flight ticket has to be from somewhere else. Whats the best way to do this?

- transfer money to my Paypal account with one of my cards? is this possible? or does the transfer money thing relate to bank transfers only? And after pay for the flight with Paypal?

- transfer the Paypal money to a bank account, and if so, if I transfer it to the Indonesian bank, I might end up having problems paying with the Debit card as not all websites accept it, plus I dont even know if this linking of the bank account will work...

- transfer the Paypal money to the Australian bank account, where the card works, but is this even possible, if my account is based in Indonesia? Im not sure if I should have based my Paypal in Australia, where the online banking and card seems to be more reliable, there I have address of a family member, but my phonenumber is not active, so would I need to activate it? Or optionally I could open again my Finnish Paypal account again, where the card is the most reliable, there the phonenumber is active, but would I need to put the SIM on my phone everytime when doing payments with Paypal, does Paypal confirm or send codes to the phonenumber when paying?

- transfer money on the Visacard itself, is this possible? and then I just pay the flight with the Visacard?

Thank you in advance for a reply... maybe these questions for some are obvious.. but I did try to deal with this, already twice, and both times, I gave up, as it seemed like a mission impossible, so now Im trying this third time again, if Ill get it somehow working...

Kind regards,

Joja

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Cristina

Hi @JojaHan,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our Community Help Forum!

PayPal is country specific and you should open an account for the Country where you live in. If you have an Indonesia PayPal account, you should link an Indonesian credit/debit card. 

Your friend can send you half of the payment via PayPal as a personal payment. Then, you can pay directly your ticket via PayPal (if the merchant has this option). If you have available balance on your PayPal account you can withdraw your money to your bank account or your card.

I hope this helps.

Cristina

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.