Mandate setup failed

ohmkiesel
New Community Member

I’m living in japan. Why Mandate setup failed? Japan post bank. The Direct Debit Mandate setup failed JAPAN POST BANK Checking •.<removed> Your bank could not proceed to set up the Direct Debit Mandate. Make sure that your bank details, Kana name, and date of birth match your bank information. Please note the Direct Debit Mandate isn't available for corporate bank accounts. Go to your Wallet and try again.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

feeling_zenjp
Contributor
Contributor

Been on the phone to their support for the same issue and they just don't get it. 

My bank confirmed the restriction is not on their direct debit API. They expect a name in roman alphabet to match the account name. PayPal are validating this input locally on the page in JavaScript. The refusal to allow anything but Kana is not being processed by any server, it is built-into the page.

PayPal Support tried to indicate that the actual PayPal account name I am registered under is at fault s they changed it to match the bank details which I was sure is not the issue and surprise surprise - it's not the issue.

Login to Me Too

feeling_zenjp
Contributor
Contributor

I received an official written response that PayPal Japan don't support bank account names that are in romaji.

As this is a discriminatory practice, I have contacted the Japan Times to bring this issue to light.

And all because they cannot design a simple form validation correctly. If the field needs to be validated by the banks anyway, they should simply check that the field is not blank and leave it at that.

Login to Me Too

govindkrishna
Contributor
Contributor

That's insane. And don't think PayPal gives a damn one way or the other. 
I don't get it when Japanese banks can give us Romaji, why can't these people here? I wish I hadn't needed PayPal. 
It's cumbersome to set up, pain to get everything verified and has abhorrent customer service.

Login to Me Too

SailorCallisto
Contributor
Contributor

Wow! So there is no way to link my Paypal and JP Bank for Direct Debit? What if I have a Paypal balance that I want to withdraw? Is there any way to?

Login to Me Too

r3adingstuff
New Community Member

I have linked my JP Bank to my paypal since last year. Yes I did type my name using Katakana. Its simple.

But the problem now is that Paypal suddenly stopped most Japan Banks from participating with Paypal.
This was fine last month(August 2020).

anyone experiencing the same issues?

Login to Me Too

zildog
New Community Member

Bump. I just tried this and it failed on me the same way. I've been a big PP customer for years and only just found out what happens when trying to link my bank account to have it act as a surplus repository for funds needed on expenses. All I wanted to do was add funds to my Paypal account using either my bank account or a credit card.

Neither of these options work! It should be straight forward and it appeared to work but sent me back to the PayPal page with an error screen saying the coupling failed. 

The confusing thing is that I can still withdraw to my account. I just tried it and it works so what the hell is Paypal doing? 

Does anyone have a solution?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.