Beware of New Device Activation Scams on Disney Plus from Web Solutions LLC / Global Web LLC

Techray152
New Community Member

Disneyplus.com/begin   Activation Scam

After several attempts at using the 8-digit activation codes I received a window stating I may be using fake codes or have a virus and to cal[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]for support. The company Web Solutions LLC / Global Web LLC said they could fix the login issue but would need remote access to run a virus / worm scan. Thinking they were Disney Plus support I trusted them and allowed access. To make a long story short the said they found a virus/worm on my PC and that I needed better Cybersecurity software. They did fix the Disney activation issue but also charged me $550 for all kinds of unwanted and unneeded software. These are scammers / hackers that are very good at using the confidence people have in Disney to talk there way into scamming loyal Disney customers. This has to stopped!! I have all kinds of evidence should you be interested in protecting your members.  The owners name is supposedly Senell <removed> also Tech <removed>

The same thing happened at Roku and Amazon Prime video: This is Exactly what happened to me at Disneyplus.com/begin

pyanko
Level 7

‎12-01-2020 07:12 AM
Re: Activation or Support Scam

I had a very similar experience, except that I fell victim to the scam.  On 11/28/2020, I was setting up a new Roku Premier device on one of my TVs and attempting to activate Amazon Prime Video at amazon/mytv with a code provided by the Roku setup.  I attempted the activation on my laptop several times with new codes, all with the same results.  After submitting the code, I was directed to a page that stated authentication had failed, listing several possible causes and showing a technical support numbe[Removed. Phone #s not permitted], which I should call immediately!

Finally, on my last activation attempt, I called the support number.  The agent introduced himself and the company he was representing, Web Solutions LLC.  He said he would need access to my laptop to determine what issues existed that were preventing activation.

I allowed the agent to install a product called Supremo to access my laptop and perform preliminary diagnostics.  He displayed a listing on my laptop, showing several "foreign" connections to my network and a listing of a trojan horse virus on my system, csrss.exe.  Whether these issues actually existed, I have no way of confirming.

Then, based on these findings, he said he would clean my system, install an expensive network security software called Sonicwall Network Security (around $1300 at Walmart.com) and allow me to activate Amazon Prime Video on my Roku device.  This was all for the reduced price of $650!!  Unfortunately, I was drawn into the scam and agreed to allow him to proceed with the work.  I provided a credit card to allow him to charge for my services.  An important point to make is that the agent repeatedly stated his company was not contracting with or associated in any way with Roku or Amazon.  This should have tipped me off, but I was caught up in the moment.

He completed the work and I was then able to do the activation.  Afterwards, I checked to see what was installed.  Instead of the Sonicwall software, a product call Webroot SecureAnywhere was installed.  I googled this product and found it was selling for $20-$40 at various sources.

I also contacted Amazon technical support and asked them about Web Solutions LLC.  The agent said he had not heard of any such company and that he was not aware of any third-party company providing support for Amazon.  I told him my situation and he advised me to cancel my credit card payment immediately.

I was provided with the number of the Web Solutions LLC "CEO" His name was Senell <removed> and the number i[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]  I called him to express my concerns about the work that had been done and that Amazon had no knowledge of his company.  He had a very heavy-handed demeanor and would allow me to say very little.  But, he also stressed emphatically his company had no relationship with Roku or Amazon.

Based on all the evidence pointing to a scam, I cancelled my credit card payment.  The next day, when the company attempted to make payment on my credit card, it was declined.  They called me shortly after and said they could not get their money.  I told them I felt I was a victim of fraudulent activity and had no obligation to make payment.  Subsequently, I received an email from them threatening legal action against me.  After, I blocked all calls and emails (onlinewebsolutions.org) from Web Solutions LLC.  I have had no further contact with the company or their employees.

Fyi, additional technical and customer support numbers for Web Solutions LLC:

[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]/p> [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]/p>

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.