"This transaction is currently pending compliance review" WHAT is the Reason?

manddauctions
Contributor
Contributor

I just paid $108 to a seller on ebay for an item, and because the funds are now pending, the item is no longer listed in my purchase history, and the item is still available for sale, so it's like I never bought it.  Therefore, why is Paypal still holding my funds hostage?  They should just release the funds, and let me try again.  I suspect the reason for the hold is because the shipping address is different from billing, but why not tell me right away?  Thats an easy thing to detect with automated software.

I understand the customer service shortage during COVID-19, but there is really no reason these funds need to be pending at this point, since the item is still available and my purchase has pretty much been null and void on ebay.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Jil013
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi @manddauctions

Thank you for raising your concern through our community forum.

When we spot a payment that might be suspicious, we temporarily stop the payment from going through so we can look at it more closely. We send the seller an email to let them know that the payment is Pending while we do a Payment Review. Reviews usually take up to 24 hours to complete.

If we find that the payment is legitimate, we let the seller know by email then they can mark it sold and ship the item to you.

Payment review is an early warning system that helps to protect from any suspicious payments.

Hope this answers your question. Stay safe!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.