cannot link my card

marmar0108
Contributor
Contributor

My bank account is set up but it won't let me add my Debit MasterCard when I try to link it. I'm with BMO in Canada.  This is affecting my ability to purchase things/use PayPal for anything. I'm trying to create a Depop account and it declines my card every time. When I try to link it on PayPal it says "we can't complete this right now" and when I try to do it on Depop it says "card declined. try a different card".  I've literally talked to a million different people including my bank to try to fix this and everyone just sends me to someone else.  There's no reason that I'm aware of that my card should be declining and I'm getting super fed up with it so I hope someone here knows what the problem is.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

DanWolfe
New Community Member

Had the same problem myself and figured it out. I know this post is old, but since the changes as to how paypal verifies account with Canadian banks some people may still have this problem.

BMO only lists the first two accounts with paypal via the interface, if you've added another account to BMO it will not show up in the list. The same thing happens if the new account you want to add is a USA dollar account, even if you have less than two accounts on BMO.

Paypal still allows you to add a bank account using the information of your checking account such as the branch number (001) swift/iban number (five digits) and your checking account number. It takes a few days to complete, as paypal will make two deposits into your account under a dollar and you have to give those amounts back to paypal to verify the account, but it works.

Hope this helps someone.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.