Will I get the £1 card confirmation 'fee' refunded?

jonnyjohn
New Community Member

Hello all,

I received a virtual mastercard for £25 as a gift and so as I have done before, I put it into my paypal acct and then i could use it easier. I simply had to treat it exactly the same as a real card so I went through the usual process - which has changed a bit since I last used it, a year or three ago! but the core process is essentially the same so I went ahead with no difficulty.

I entered the card details as per usual and once I had entered everything  correctly(!) I got to the part that tells me I will get a  code sent to me via a charge sent to the card for a null amount(that was how it put it).

Sure enough, I got a charge to the website that i manage the card from, it said a charge of

--gbp 1.00

which was in red bold text.

note it had minus before the number, which i took to mean a negative charge. Usual charges to the card do not have any hyphens before the amount. They do not have red bolded text either.

Anyway, i entered the  code back at paypal and was duly informed my card had been  confirmed..hooray!

It just so happens that i had a shopping cart on a website i use these cards on, ready and waiting with 24.90 worth of goods ready. I completed the transaction only to keep getting the card refused. I eventually noticed that the card balance was now at 24 pounds and no longer 25, hence there was insufficient funds for the transaction.

I left it for 24 hours.

After that I noticed no change in the card amount, which is seemingly staying at 24 pounds.

Paypal shows no transactions or activity over this time period. I assume it does not log or count these confirmations as transactions.

I read it can take 30 days for a card charge to refund but it did not refer to or mention VIRTUAL cards. This card will be used by then and a refund of a pound to the card on its own is useless effectively as i cannot use it alone or get change back. If the refund is not done within a week i will be using the virtual card. So paypal is going to cost me a pound anyway then right?

How can I get it back?

Please help if you can, thank you.

J.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.