Why and where is my money being held ??

sophiac2
Contributor
Contributor
I was sent $35 the other day by a friend but not for a business transaction. All of the sudden I get an email that there was a case opened on it, but when I went on the website it says the case was closed in my favor and the funds aren’t on hold anymore. Either way, I got no email from paypal that the case was closed and see no money in my account. I did transfer the money manually before the case was open and the money was put on hold, which I know takes 1-3 business days to be put in your account but the money still isn’t there. I tried to call PayPal and customer service is down due to coronavirus. I was talking to the auto-Bot and asked for the status on the case and they seemed as if the case wasn’t close. It said something like “your money was put on hold.. if there aren’t any disputes between you and the buyer in the next 21 days you will get your money back. You may get your money back sooner if you provide proof of shipping and tracking information.” I’m very confused because online it says the case was closed, and the bot is telling me otherwise. This was never a business transaction and my paypal settings are not as goods and services, it’s family and friends. I know it’s not a large amount of money but I’m curious as to where it is and when I am going to get it.
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

jpcastel82
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @sophiac2 

Thanks for reaching the community for this concern.

If this is a payment for goods and services, all you need to do is to get in touch to the sender and advised them to confirm that they already receive this item or service. Once they did that, payment will be accessible in your account immediately.

Here's how to confirm you've received an item:

1. Click Activity at the top of the page.
  2. Find and click the original payment for the item.
  3. Click Confirm receipt.
  4. Click Yes to confirm that you received the order.

Advised the sender to follow these steps.

Login to Me Too

ShinChanity
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi @sophiac2

Thank you for raising your concern through our community forum.

Sometimes it does have to do with browser we recommend you use Google Chrome or Internet Explorer if you experience the same situation with your current browser. You may want to check also with the buyer how it was sent if its as family and friends or goods and services. If it was sent as goods and services kindly ask them to follow the below steps:

Here's how to confirm you've received an item:

1. Click Activity at the top of the page.
2. Find and click the original payment for the item.
3. Click Confirm receipt.
4. Click Yes to confirm that you received the order.

***Not all purchases require receipt confirmation.

For related topics why payment is on hold please see below article:

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/why-is-my-payment-on-hold-or-unavailable-faq1987?app=sea...

Hope this helps. Kudos / Solutions will be much appreciated.

Thank you and Please Stay Safe.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.