Negative balance and letter from collections - can I still pay through Paypal?

CatherineJ
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

I have a balance of -$540 on my account. It has been negative for about a month.

Last week, I received a letter from a collections agency who told me I had to pay through them. Their payment methods were quite annoying, I had to send them an e-transfer and wait a week for it to be accepted. I haven't sent them any money yet.

When I log into my Paypal account, I still see the option to add money to my account to resolve a negative balance.

To test it out, I added $5 to my account, and my new balance showed as $-535. So it went through.

Can I just send the rest of the money this way via Paypal?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CatherineJ 

Personally I wouldn't risk if it the debt has already been passed to collections but only customer services can advise you on that one really.

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.
OR
have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.