My account was scammed by Shaw Academy, and PayPal won't help me.

lmallon543
New Community Member
An unauthorised payment of £49.99 was taken out of my account to Shaw Academy UK, a company I have never heard of or signed up for. I don't have an account with them, and have no emails about signing up. I reported the transaction and changed my password.  PayPal closed the case and said " After reviewing your case, we found that this transaction was not unauthorised and therefore isn't eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection. "

This makes no sense to me. If the payment was authorised, then why would I report it? Multiple people have faced this issue as seen with a quick Google search and from trustpilot.com (https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/shawacademy.com), and Shaw Academy is known to be extremely reluctant - or outright refusing -  in giving out refunds.

I've been off work for 15 weeks now due to Covid-19, I can't afford to lose £50 to a scam. According to PayPal's help centre, there is an option to escalate a closed case: "If you’re unable to resolve your dispute, you can ask us to investigate by escalating the dispute to a claim." I followed the steps listed to do so: "Go to Resolution Centre, Click View next to the dispute you want to escalate, Click Escalate to PayPal at the bottom of the page."

There is no "Click Escalate to PayPal" at the bottom of the page. I haven't heard anything back from Santander or Shaw Academy. It seems that absolutely no-one has received refunds. Is there anything I can do? I don't have a lot of money as it is and Covid-19 hindered that, and then this scam has heightened this.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.