Friends and Family payment - on hold?

nehry888
Contributor
Contributor

I am absolutely freaking the **bleep** out at the moment.

I'm trying to buy a game account from a seller and need to make instant transactions.

I sent the money through friends and family to someone and they've received the money but now it's on hold?

Why the **bleep** is this the case? I've sent friends and family to people and they've received it instantly but this particular transaction is on hold?

I am so **bleep**frustrated and appalled by PayPal.

I originally sent another transaction through goods and services but I've had the money refunded because it wasn't instant. I've noticed that it is hasn't returned into my bank account. How long of a wait is this normally?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nehry888 

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a gift payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

You would also not be able to open a dispute apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction but that would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.

Be careful as using that option for purchasing goods is against Paypal rules and can lead to account limitation.

Secondly if its a pending echeque then its not on hold but processing from the bank, does it give a clearance date OR is it just the seller saying its on hold in their account. Does it say pending / unclaimed / sent or completed on your account?  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

nehry888
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, but you clearly did not answer my question. All i'm asking is why my payment is being held when I used the F&F transaction. No money was taken out of my bank account even though Paypal has said I've transferred the money.

I understand the risk of using F&F vs. G&S, but you telling me that I should Goods and services does not answer my **bleep**ing question.

Login to Me Too

nehry888
Contributor
Contributor

Secondly, in regards to your second question, it was not done through a pending e-cheque. And the seller is saying that it's on hold on their account.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nehry888 

ok, guess I won't answer your **bleeping question** then as you ask so nicely.

Secondly I guess reporting your account is the best option if you are using the friends/family option for purchases and breaking paypal rules.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.