Bank account already linked to max PayPal accounts error

uyentran
Contributor
Contributor
I am trying to link my bank account to this new paypal account but it is saying I have linked it to the max number of paypal accounts. I am aware that the limit and 3 and you can't do more than that. I have only ever linked that bank account to two other accounts, this will be the third one. I am also aware that unlinking accounts won't remove the bank link history from that paypal account. It's 3 total in it's lifetime correct?. Even with that considered, I shouldn't be getting this error message because I've never linked my bank to 3 or more accounts prior to this, only two.. How can I fix this? I no longer use one of my paypal accounts and I really need to add funds into the current paypal account I am using very soon for an important payment. 

I have sent a message to paypal in the message center as a reply to the automated message to continue the conversation/support but that have not replied to me and I'm worried they will not reply to my message in time if I just wait. 

Please help ASAP!

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@uyentran

You are only allowed 2 paypal accounts if one is personal and the other one is business.

You are not allowed to open another paypal account if one of them is limited.

If you added your card x2 at one point to x1 account then that would count as 2 and its 3 in its lifetime.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ798

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

uyentran
Contributor
Contributor

If I close all the other accounts, would I be able to link it to the one I am using now? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@uyentran

'Other accounts' !!

How many do you have and why do you keep opening new ones  Smiley Surprised

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

uyentran
Contributor
Contributor

I had one for taking commission online and then I had another for professional work but it didn't use my real name for both since I did not want people know my real name on those aliases. The one I am trying to make now is my real name. I already closed the one that I used for professional work since I am transitioning to my real name, but I don't want to close the first because I still use it to take commissions and I absolutely don't want people to know my real name on that account. 

Login to Me Too

uyentran
Contributor
Contributor

I honestly have no idea to go from this point. I think the account I'm communicating with you on is unusable since I cannot connect my bank which was my main goal so I will have to just close it as well. But then, I have no clue how to fix my original account with my online alias. I sent in documents on it for a legal name change to my real one. I was thinking I would upgrade it to a business account to have it use the "display name change feature" and change it to my online alias but I don't know if I ask clients to send payment to my "real name", it will instead display my online alias. I really don't want anyone to know the two names are connected because it can be a detriment to my future career. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@uyentran

As its against paypal rules to open a paypal account in a fake name then you may not be able to close it until you 'verify' it by providing info with documents to prove that the name on your paypal account is your legal name !!!!

So if you can't close it and you end up with 2 or more of the same type of account you risk the lot being limited.

Suggest you contact customer services to try and sort things.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

uyentran
Contributor
Contributor

If I sent my documents now to get my name changed on my original account, how long do you think it will the name change will go thorough? I will close this account I'm using to talk to you by the end for the day, but I'm trying to get the sorted out fast since I don't have alot of time left. My original account is the only account I was able to link my bank to, so I absolutely can't close it. I just have to go through the processing of changing my name because that account has limitations on it. 
@kernowlass

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@uyentran

You can ONLY change a name on an account if it has a 'minor typo' on it OR for legal reasons ie marriage.

If its a fake name then you would never be able to 'change the name' and it would stay limited and you are not allowed to open another account if you have one limited without paypals permission, you should have opened it in your legal name as its a legal financial account.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-change-the-name-on-my-paypal-account-faq926?app...

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.