escalated to claim no trust in paypal

poeed
Contributor
Contributor

As a seller I escalated dispute to a claim. Buyer asked for partial system to be shipped, buyer did not want a couple major components, would have to have shipped freight. Components were not useful by themselves therefore were scrapped. PAYPAL told buyer to ship back for full refund, they did not read emails I sent to them within 2 days of my escalation to a claim. I sent emails of buyer asking for partial system and couple weeks later he needed a part he originally did not want, no longer available. Wrong "automated" decision was reached. PAYPAL "supervisor"will not admit mistake. First and second representatives did admit PAYPAL was premature in decision and seller was told it would go to review (did not happen). There great at taking the money. What happens when PAYPAL makes a mistake? Is there anyone there that has -----? Anybody have suggestion on where to take this. No question, they did not follow advertised procedure and are wrong. $800 PAYPAL mistake

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

tomas7
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal rarely takes responsibility for anything, We have to remember they are here to make money and they have structured their guidelines to provide the most number of ways out for themselves and not the participants. And I agree 1000% they do not read the entirity of any information provided to them and lack the application of logic to any situation at all. I have yet to ever have any issue resolved at all. So their buyer/seller protection program is just for show. Geared more to protect Paypal and sellers as the sellers are how they make their money. Buyers- forget about it. Even if you do follow the rules etc,. they find a way to twist their guidelines to exclude one from any kind of real protection. Sorry that you got snagged for trying to accomodate your buyer.I suppose if it were to happen in the future, you could indicate that the left over parts were not worth anything to you and /or include that in your description if an item has many pieces that would not sell on their own, and that you don't have space for the remainder and the buyer may be able to use the extra pieces for future back up or replacement should they be needed? Just some thoughts. I have to agree whole heartedly I as well have no trust in paypal.

Login to Me Too

NutmegCT
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal has no SELLER PROTECTION whatsoever. I recently had a buyer who wanted to return an item (buyer's remorse) but LIED TO PAYPAL. The buyer got nasty with me when I would not refund the money until they returned the item.  PAYPAL REFUNDED the money to the buyer before I had a chance to get the return item (luckily it was OK) - but the fact is PAYPAL REFUNDED my money without me (Seller) making sure item was returned in original condition.  I talked to several PAYPAL idiots - some sounding like they were from another universe.  Then they found in buyer's favor - another lie on behalf of PAYPAL - when I specifically as Seller escalated to claim because buyer would not provide photos of my merchandise.  Buyer made false accusations and in resolution section SELLER HAS no ability to enter comments - which demonstrates they will favor buyer and return money NO MATTER WHAT.  I kept a chrono of time, date and who I spoke to at PAYPAL and will be drafting a letter to fax and email.  Paypal needs to reflect accounts accurately - not fabricate what they want.  I will attempt to use PAYPAL as little as possible.  The Dept of Justice ought to look into their practices.  The money transactions are probably the worst as well - my bank clearly indicates the money was transferred to PAYPAL - PAYPAL indicates it is not.  Hmmm - money floating in another country and that should make everyone nervous!

Login to Me Too

luckygirl_1257
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to hear about your predicament. Even if a buyer said they did not want all the parts, I would suggest sending them anyway to protect yourself from a claim for a a partial refund for not sending everything they paid for. Or worse yet, being forced to give a full refund because they state they received something that was "significantly not as described".

I have had 2 disputes in the past month!

I think the first one just changed their mind and wanted their money back. I told them I would refund them when they returned the merchandise. They did not respond. Instead - they filed a dispute through PayPal and escalated it to a claim. After two weeks they had still not provided a tracking number. Fortunately for me, PayPal refunded them but not from my account and I was not charged with a dispute.

The second one is a different story. Their item was apparently damaged in shipping. Absolutely no contact received from the buyer. First I knew was when I received a message from PayPal stating that a claim had been opened. Within 20 minutes the buyer escalated the claim. They buyer will not respond to inquiries about the damage, provide photos or indicate whether the item is being returned. I even offered to reimburse for the return shipping if the item is damaged.

PayPal needs to adopt a policy that requires the buyer to provide evidence they have tried to resolve the issue with the seller through eBay FIRST. If a seller refuses to work with them, then they should take steps through PayPal. Making a dispute through PayPal without giving the seller an opportunity to resolve the matter is not fair to reputable sellers.

Login to Me Too

NutmegCT
Contributor
Contributor

This was my first complaint "EVER".  Non-Ebay sale.  My buyer escalated to claim within 5 minutes of me requesting photos.  1st one they sent was not visible - forwarded to Paypal as evidence.  What I am going to do though - is fax the docmentation I have.  The buyer DID NOT EVEN negotiate - just escalated.  Very disheartening to say the least - the fact is: I called Paypal immediately after Buyer wanted money before item returned and TOLD PAYPAL that I would refund mone y as soon as I received item in original condition as sent to buyer.  PAYPAL rep said they would document that - come to find out they didn't document any of my calls to them (but I kept names & times) - then buyer informed PAYPAL that they had shipped the item (tracking # not available) come to find out buyer had shipped day later.  Initially another PAYPAL rep tells me if item not shipped date buyer told them it was shipped - buyer loses refund.  2 days later - tracking # still not available - call Paypal again - now told I have to wait 10 days because USPS doesn't enter track #'s immediately (which is not true).  2 days later (not the 10 days mind you that Paypal has already told me) get email from PAYPAL stating they found in buyer's favor WHICH WAS A HUGE LIE!  Every Paypal customer rep told me something different every time.  Truly this does not represent an honest business practice.  In my opinion, SELLERS HAVE DO HAVE RIGHTS. One Paypal rep stated to me "I'll be blunt with you - it doesn't matter what type of evidence the Seller submits we don't know if it is accurate"!  Well, how the heck do they know the BUYER's statements are accurate.  PAYPAL needs to change their huge policy errors.  What is even worse Buyer stated I, the seller, misrepresented the item (which I did not) and that I was unethical - in effect slandering and defaming my reputation.  They can't even get the account straight - my bank has already transferred monies to PAYPAL - but PAYPAL lingers for days on end before they actually put the money in account.  Certainly this violates some kind of federal regulation.  I just hope this isn't a "trend" of buyers trying to get refund before returning item - then re-selling - sounds like a SCAM to me.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.