Stop assuming your customers are idiots.

amandarussell
New Community Member

You should not conduct business under the assumption that all of your customers are idiots who can't follow directions. It is incredibly infuriating for those of us with a real issue. Here's my experience:

I was having trouble removing a bank account from my wallet. I had easily found the super obvious "Remove bank" link, but was getting an error message about a (non-existent) pending transaction. But when I wrote to customer service about it, I was sent an auto response providing instructions on how to find the "Remove Bank" link. This meant I had to write in a second time to have someone actually read the message and respond.

Then I was told I had to call and resolve it over the phone. The phone system asked for a passcode, which I hadn't been provided with. So then I had to say "yes" about 15 times to verify my phone number because the system couldn't understand me. Then, I was put through another automated set of instructions on how to find the "Remove Bank" link, with no option to say "I already tried this" at the beginning. I had to go through the whole tutorial saying "next" every few seconds. Anything other than "next" got me nowhere.

Then at the end of the tutorial, I was told the account was removed. It wasn't, because of that error message I was calling about in the first place. There was no "that didn't work" option, so I had to press a bunch of random keys on my phone to get a real person on the line. That person walked me through the removal process YET AGAIN, despite me saying multiple times that I had already done that.

She then asked what device I was on. I answered "iMac". She asked what browser, I said "Chrome". So she told me to try Internet Explorer. Um, no. I just said I'm on an iMac, there is no Internet Explorer for Apple computers. She tried to convince me that that I absolutely needed to be on IE, so I asked her to try it on her end, and she ran into the same problem, so obviously the browser was not the issue. (Also, it's 2016. I highly doubt PayPal is still using code that only works in IE. Maybe update that part of the script.)

I spent 40 minutes on the phone trying and retrying and retrying the "Remove Bank" link (even on the "classic" version of the site). She said multiple times that there's no pending transactions, so there's "no problem". Except that it kept telling me there was one, and I would definitely call that a problem. She eventually escalated the issue to a higher tier, but I couldn't talk to them and she wasn't able to provide me a ticket number or anything. Luckily, it did get taken care of a few minutes later.

The majority of the interaction consisted of me being repeatedly told how to remove the account myself, when the *first* thing I said to customer service was that I HAD ALREADY TRIED THAT. That is a ridiculous amount of redundancy, and a massive waste of my time. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@amandarussell

Check this as sometimes there is one on there you have forgotten about.

Paypal summary page > profile (spanner looking icon next to log out) > bottom right paypal settings > pre-approved payments.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

amandarussell
New Community Member

No, something in the system was hung. The issue was resolved after escalating to tech support. My complaint is the amount of time I wasted going through the same set of instructions over and over and over and over, even though I'd already done that on my own, just because the customer support system is based around the idea that customers don't know what they're doing.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@amandarussell

OK glad you got it sorted, to be honest some of their call centre staff are not the brightest lights in the harbour  !!

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.