Personal Email Address provided in puchase transactions

michla
Contributor
Contributor

Doesn't make sense to me--why does Paypal provide my actual email address to the seller I am buying or paying?  I'm receiving excessive junk emails from sellers and it's becoming more discouraging to use Paypal to avoid filling up my Inbox with ridiculous spam emails that are postively identifiable as Paypal merchants who have received my payment.

Why not ANONIMIZE personal email addresses with my actual email address only available to Paypal ?  I mean, as a Premier Member, my status assures the merchant of my authentication enough.  If the seller really wants to contact or refund about the transaction, there's no reason why they couldn't do so through an anonimized link. 

I suppose it's a matter of trouble/more work for Paypal, but the amount of junk mail I am receiving lately is getting out of hand.  It would seem to me with all the care and concern Paypal expresses lately, the personal information --especially email--of a buyer would be protected somehow. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

This is by design for both Personal and Premier Accounts.  The work around is having a Business Account.

The privacy policy does explain what they can do with certain information:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/privacy-full

Login to Me Too

michla
Contributor
Contributor

snowshoe--business accounts are run by people that require privacy just as much as individuals who care about the abuse of their email accounts.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.