Is there any protection for services that are not done?

kavehkh
Contributor
Contributor

I needed an article to be wriiten by 5th of December, I found Mr P who said he would do it for $250.

I paid the full amount with Paypal (unfortunately I was under false assumption that using Paypal I have some sort of protection). Mr P didn't do anything and at the due date asked me to pay another $250 so he would do it two days later.

I refused and asked for my money and never got any answer.

I disputed the case and as advised by Paypal send another email with no response and I change it to a claim.

Paypal closed the case automatically : "After careful consideration, we're unable to decide this claim in your favor at this time."

When I checked the claim details I found out about "careful consideration", Paypal asked Mr P about the case and he answered "This was a service that was fully provided" and the case was closed.

I send two more emails to Paypal asking about the case and tell them that I can send them seller emails that clearly says he is not going to do the service but I didn't get any answer to any of emails.

Obviously I was wrong to trust Mr P and pay in advance for the service but the sad part is I was wrong when I thought Paypal would actualy investigate any claim and I now know the funny meaning of "careful consideration".

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Bummer, unfortunately services are not covered under Seller Protection according to the user agreement, you didn't have a chance from the start.  I'm guessing Mr not so honest P may have known that.

11.5 Items/transactions not eligible for PayPal Seller protection. The following are examples of items/transactions not eligible for PayPal Seller protection.   

• Claims or Chargebacks for Significantly Not as Described.
  • Items that you deliver in person, including in connection with In-Store Checkout.
  • Intangible items, including Digital Goods, and services.
  • PayPal Direct Payments.
  • Virtual Terminal Payments.
  • PayPal Business Payments.
  • Items that are not shipped to the recipient's shipping address on the Transaction Details Page. If you originally ship the item to the recipient's shipping address on the Transaction Details Page but the item is later redirected to a different address, you will not be eligible for PayPal Seller protection. We therefore recommend not using a shipping service that is arranged by the buyer, so that you will be able to provide valid proof of shipping and delivery.     
Login to Me Too

kavehkh
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the the answer, there are many dishonest people out there and one should learn to deal with them, but the worst part is Paypal's reaction to this. I send them 2 or 3 letters but they added insult to the injury and didn't answer to any of them. Even a short answer describing their policy would have been helpful. Now I've decided not to use Paypal unless it is the only way.

Login to Me Too

hotgaguy30

I am so frustrated and offended that PayPal denied my dispute, because the person who received money from my card which I did not authorize or receive any services, just never resonded to them. He did however e-mail me stating he agreed I deserved my money returned to me, and the money was removed from his PayPal account by PayPal.  So where is this money going.  Then to top it off, they send a form e-mail telling me to mail them a letter if I have further concerns about my denial.  Is that a brush off or what.  This is a internet company and I"m being told to now send them a letter.  I agree I will never use this service again.  I will find other ways to do business, and I will make sure to warn everyone and anyone I can that their money and safety of their banking information is not safe on PayPal.  Very distrubed by this situation!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.