Counterfeit Product Dispute - PP ruled in Seller's Favor?

QuidProQuo
Contributor
Contributor

I bought "Apple" headphones from a website.  They came a month later - the package came from Hong Kong.  Unfortunately, the items are counterfeit.  (I know because I have a genuine pair.  I was attempting to buy as a gift for nephew). I contacted the website and asked them via email if the items are genuine Apple products.  I saved their email stating that they are NOT genuine.  I then ask them why they had on their website that they were.  They did not reply.   I opened a dispute with PayPal to get my money back.  Filed under "Item not as described".   Paypal then requested that I obtain documentation from a THIRD party who is TRAINED/EXPERIENCED in this particular item stating why the third party person(s) believe the item is counterfeit, how they came to that conclusion, and how they are trained in that area.   I contacted Apple's headquarters to ask them if I can have someone from an Apple retailer do such thing for me.  Apple's headquarters said they cannot.  I go to places like Best Buy and ask them (because they sell Apple products) and they can not help me either.  I tell PayPal that they are asking me to do something I cannot.   They then rule in the seller's favor.  So, I want to know why the company I bought the items from -- why their OWN WORD that the item is not genuine -- is not good enough for PayPal.  I also want to know who else IS or HAS experienced the same thing.     

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

QuidProQuo
Contributor
Contributor

I am in the process of speaking with a lawfirm about some good points they brought up when I called them.  If anyone else has experienced the above situation or very similar, and have other details to bring to light, do respond on this thread.

Login to Me Too

h_famiglietti
New Community Member

I put in a dispute for 2 pieces of art that i bought off of eBay. I just got notified that the 1st one was denied by paypal. The seller said it was signed by the artist. Since it is a fake it could not be signed by the artist and I put in a dispute. She said what do i expect for $34. I ordered an online evaluation and the assessing company said it was definetely a fake. Paypal still decided in the sellers favor i think because she put no returns on her page. I may have to relist just to get my money back and let someone else dispute me. I really don't want to do it but how can paypal deny when it is proven to be a fake.

The other item the same story except i haven't heard from paypal yet. What good is their guarantee if they won't honor it when you file a dispute. On top of that, if you have to pay for return shipping (the seller should have to pay for it) you are out the shipping charges for you to get the original fee back you still lose on shipping.

Login to Me Too

kathyk
Contributor
Contributor

What I am finding is that more and more Ebay sellers are not being totally forthcoming about their products. I just received yet another "in perfect condition" article(of clothing) that I paid hard-earned money for and it has spots down the front! Hardly in "perfect" condition!

My experience is to ask before bidding about any questions you may have and sort it all out BEFORE purchase. I totally sympathize with not getting what the seller is claiming.

Paypal has been spotty with how they sort out problems. They are no different than how a credit card company will sort out problems. I've had a credit card company rule against me when a company refused to ship my merchandise. It took contacting the Attorney General's office and them making a phone inquiry to the business-then it was made right IMMEDIATELY.

If Paypal will not help you, call your state Attorney General's office and follow their instructions. They are there to help and unlike a lawyer, they do not charge you. Of course, this most likely only helps if the seller is American, but then I'm not a lawyer 🙂

Login to Me Too

jimmy120

I have the same problem, I bought a product which turned out the be a complete rip off from what it specified online. Spoken to an authorised retailer and they argued that the product should'nt be sold outside of China, along with the company I bought from illegally selling seeing as their company was dissolved last November. Speaking to Paypal, they have said that I now have to return the product to China (even though on the website it states that the company is based in London) and pay the return fees. Even more outrageous is the fact the the website owner has now changed the website to cover their backs and show a returns policy which was not previously there! Even if I was to return the product to China, how can Paypal guarantee that I will get my money back and that the seller will sign for it?! What happens then, is there anything I can do?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.