Somebody used my e-mail to register paypal account

Revertis
New Community Member

I have a paypal account registered to my new e-mail, it works good.

But somebody has registered a paypal account with my old e-mail, that I occasionally use. I didn't register it in paypal.

1. How can paypal work for that person, if he/she didn't confirm email address?

2. How can I remove my e-mail from that person's account, or delete that account?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Revertis,

I'm sorry to hear of the difficulty that you're having regarding the use of your email address. 

The first thing I want to ask is if you are certain that there is an account associated with that email address. If you've received an email stating that there is a transaction associated with that email address, it is possible that the email is a spoof email that someone is sending to you in the hopes of frightening you into divulging sensitive information to them. This is a US-based article, but it has some great information about detecting fake emails that are applicable to any country.

If you are certain that there is an account associated with your email address, it is possible that the account is associated with a different version of the address. For instance, if you have an address at gmail with firstname.lastname as the username, if someone emails to firstnamelastname without the period, it might still come to you. If this is the case, that email address might be subject to such mix-ups even outside of PayPal.

If there is indeed an account associated with the email address exactly the way you use it, it's possible that someone mistyped their own email address during signup and then, as you said, they would not be able to confirm the email address and it would not be able to be used on their account. Communications would still come to that address until they changed the primary address so they could use the account properly.

The last possibility is that someone had access to your email account and set up the account and confirmed the email address. This is rarely the situation, but if you are concerned about it, please change the password you use on your email account and make sure that it is a unique password that is not used anywhere else. Then contact PayPal for assistance in investigating the account. If the account is set up using your information, it may be possible to confirm the information and close the account.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.