Remove an old account with a forgotten password

Noellelee581225
Contributor
Contributor
My elderly dad has a paypal acc using an email which no longer works (changed service provider) he can’t remember his password either so can’t do anything including open a new PP acc with his new email ... how can I help him?
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

walterDUB
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Noellelee581225 

The easiest way for your dad would  be just to open a new account (instructions here). An issue might turn up in the case that he wants to use financial information (Credit Card number or Bank Account Number) that were registered on the old account. In this case it will not be possible to add them

(see second bullet in this FAQ) as they are kept safe in the old account.

If your dad does not have an alternative bank account number or credit card number that he can use on the new PayPal account he will have to contact customer support to get access to the old account and have those financial details removed so that they can be added to a new account.

Stay safe!

Login to Me Too

Noellelee581225
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I’ll give that a go for him however I can not contact customer support as the links just kept going around in circles taking me back to the list of possible problems. No email, chat or phone numbers that I could find.

Login to Me Too

PneumaPsyche
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Noellelee581225

If you prefer to email us, on the 'Contact Customer Service' page, from the options shown click Email us, then select a topic and subtopic before typing your message.
Thanks!

Keep safe.

Login to Me Too

Noellelee581225
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

I  followed the link that you sent thank you, however none of the options available help. My father (88yo) no longer has access to the email address as he has changed service provider and he has forgotten his password...and there was no email link unless you satisfy either of the above.  What next?

Login to Me Too

PneumaPsyche
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Noellelee581225 !

We sincerely apologize for what you have to experience.

You can check this link below to help you and your dad gain access to his PayPal account.

You can select how you want to recover your password.

There will be options such as Have us call you, Receive a textReceive an emailAnswer your security questions, Confirm through Facebook Messenger or Confirm your identity using Google.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/i-forgot-my-password.-how-do-i-reset-it-faq1933?app=sear...

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.