Change of name

irenaf
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone experienced changing their name on their Paypal account? I have changed my surname legally by Deed poll and I have tried for months to get Paypal to change the name on the account by giving them copies of my legal deed poll which shows both the old and the new name and photo ID (passport). All to no avail. I keep getting messages back which either regurgitate the standard stuff on the website (I can read!!) or just keep saying they cannot transfer the account to a different person. I am NOT a different person-I am the same person with a different name. Aaargh!!!

Is my best way forward merely to close my account and open a new one in my new name? It seems unbelievable that an organisation like this cannot cope with something as straightforward as a name change. My experience so far is not a good one and leads me to think that you can only get a job at Paypal if you meet a certain level of intelligence -anyone above a certain IQ is immediately barred from employment!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi irenaf,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community!

In general, to change your surname on your PayPal account after you have changed it legally by Deed poll, we would request a photo ID, the legal document that confirms your name change and an email authorisation to do so on your behalf. 

If the documents you sent have not been accepted, it may be that what we received was not legible, partial, or that was not the correct document. In order to solve the issue quickly, your best option would be to contact our Customer Service directly. 

If you would like to call in, you can find the correct phone number for your country by clicking 'Help & Contact' at the bottom of the PayPal homepage and then clicking 'Call customer support'. You can also contact us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/PayPalUK) or on Twitter (@AskPayPal).

I hope that helps!

Martina 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.