Account taken over by fraudster

Chris7000
New Community Member

My account was taken over by fraudsters this afternoon & trying to report it to Paypal to simply block my account seems virtually impossible.

Even though I have second authentication to text my mobile, my account has still been taken over - my email, delivery address & authentication all now changed to the fraudsters details. I got an email to advise an order was placed at a footlocker store.

Paypal's only advice on their website seems to report the issue by logging onto your account & raising a message with them.  Duh - I can't do that as my account has been taken over so I can't access it!!!!!!  I've had to send a message from my daughter's account & several hours later still no response - presumably the fraudsters are having a good time!?  So much for Paypal security & ability to stop fraud!!

I've cancelled my credit card but my bank can't stop transaction from being made from my bank account  - I've taken the action to move all the money from my linked bank account. 

All Paypal need to do is block the account but how else am I suppose to contact them to tell them to do this??

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

moneymatters168
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

@Chris7000

Thank you for posting this issue. 

First of all good job on cancelling your cards and accounts as you were not able to do it on your account nor through our hotline. You may want to consider filing a police report. 

You mentioned that your account is set up with a secondary authentication. Password hacking is difficult but to have access to your cel Sms leads one to believe an inside job. Under your user agreement subsection Safe use of your account, 'You should take reasonable steps to stop your PayPal account being misused. You must maintain adequate security and control of any and all devices, items, IDs, passwords and personal identification numbers / codes that you use to access your PayPal account and the PayPal services.'

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full

You may want to do your investigation and we can help you. 

For the meantime we are in an unusual historical event, the cards and account cancelled and no further harm to your accounts.

We are here for you. Stay safe. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.