Inactivity Service Fee

Lucretia_UK
Contributor
Contributor

I received a letter from Paypal referring to, presumably, a very old PayPal account. Since most of the email address mentioned was asterisked out I can't recognise the address. Anyway, the letter says I'll be charged a £9 Inactivity Service Fee for this account. I can't close this account as I can't  see the email for it, and anyway it will be a long deleted email address with a password I've got no record of, so I couldn't log into the account to close it.  

I messaged Paypal for help but I've not heard anything. 

I expect many Paypal users will encounter this issue with £9 to Paypal for each old and/or deleted email account.  I don't understand why Paypal obscured most of the old account's email address and making it impossible to identify with a consequent charge of £9 for not reactivating or closing the obscured account. 

Can anyone please help? 

Thanks. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lucretia_UK 

They only charge you if you have funds in the paypal balance that you have not bothered to withdraw and its sitting their inactive, if you don't have funds they will probably just auto close it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lucretia_UK 

They only charge you if you have funds in the paypal balance that you have not bothered to withdraw and its sitting their inactive, if you don't have funds they will probably just auto close it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Lucretia_UK
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. 

Login to Me Too

RUSTYBits
New Community Member

Hi

Bearing in mind that you cannot check the inactive account "how can you know if you have left a few pounds in your old account"?

Login to Me Too

Lucretia_UK
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly. I find Paypal's silence to my messages rather suspicious. Cynically, I think Paypal is not going to help people recover their accounts so that Paypal can pocket their money. What happens if there's still funds in accounts after Paypal helps themselves to £9. Does this repeat annually until all the funds are depleted? I think it probably does. 

Login to Me Too

Tarabh
New Community Member
Yup, they keep dipping in until the funds are gone. Frankly criminal imo, this company is not one I intend to work with anymore... too dishonest
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.