Delete account

JDG227822
New Community Member

I have forgotten the password to my account and have discovered that the only reset option has a mobile number that is no longer mine. I could not get in touch with costumer service to have them fix the problem directly or delete the account. How do I delete this account? 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

jpcastel82
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @JDG227822
Thanks for reaching the Community for this concern.

This might help. 

If you've forgotten your PayPal password, but remember the email address you used to register with PayPal, follow these steps to regain access to your account:

1. Go to our Log In page.
  2. Click Having trouble logging in? 
  3. Enter the email address you use for PayPal and click Next. (You'll be asked to confirm your identity by selecting a verification method.)
  4. Select how you want to recover your password, and click Next. (You'll be shown some options such as Have us call youReceive a textReceive an emailAnswer your security questions, Confirm through Facebook Messenger or Confirm your identity using Google.)
  • If you choose to Have us call you, you'll see a code on the screen. Use the code when you get our call. We'll then ask you to create a new password and confirm it by entering it a second time.
  • If you choose to Receive a text, enter the 6-digit security code we send to your mobile device and click Next. We'll then ask you to create a new password and confirm it by entering it a second time.
  • If you choose to Receive an email, enter the 6-digit security code we email to you and click Continue. We may ask you to confirm your card number. We'll then ask you to create a new password and confirm it by entering it a second time.
  • If you choose to Answer security questions, enter your answers and click Continue. We may ask you to confirm your card number. We'll then ask you to create a new password and confirm it by entering it a second time.
  • You may also be given the option to Confirm through Facebook Messenger. If you choose to use this method, click Send Code, enter the 6-digit security code we send to your Messenger and click Confirm.  We'll then ask you to create a new password and confirm it by entering it a second time.
  • If you have one or more Google email accounts registered to your PayPal account, you may be required to go through an authorization challenge upon logging in to your PayPal account. If you are already logged in to a Google account before the challenge step up, simply click Continue to complete the validation.

***Tip: your PayPal password should be 8-20 characters long and include at least one number and one symbol (like !@#$%^).

Once you gain access again, you can now delete your account. 

Please reconsider! If there's a chance that you might want to use PayPal in the future, it's a good idea to keep your account open. There's no fee to keep your account open. If you want to close your account because you don't recognize a transaction, please open an unauthorized transaction dispute.
Before you close your account, make sure to withdraw any money you keep in your PayPal account. You can transfer money electronically to your bank account or ask us to send a check. (There's a $1.50 charge to send a check.) If you have an email address on your account that you haven't confirmed, remove it from your account before you close it.
You can't close your account if there are limitations, unresolved issues, or a balance. Here's how to close your PayPal account:

1. Click Settings next to "Log Out."
  2. Click Close your account under "Account options."
  3. Enter your bank account number if requested.
  4. Click Close Account.

Here's what happens when you close your account:

• Any unpaid money requests are automatically canceled.
  • You lose any unused redemption codes or coupons.

Since our phone lines are not accessible at the moment due to the worldwide pandemic crisis, we have an available chat support option that can help you on that problem. Just login on your Paypal account, go to Message Center. Then choose the option for Chat. Our friendly customer support teammates are willing to assist you.

Stay safe always.

Login to Me Too

Lianne5
New Community Member

I no longer have to my old mobile number (irish) I need to log in to delete my account and open a German one. I am not given the option to verify per email only call or sms which is impossible since I no longer have that telephone number. Please help

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lianne5 

You would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Paypal phones are mostly non operational since covid but sometimes you get lucky. (use the guest option if you can't log in).
If there is one available it will show when you click help / contact bottom left of Paypal pages for options available in your country.
Live chat is randomly available.
You can send them a message.
Or have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.