Attempting to close account but unable to verify info.

KajiraAura
New Community Member

I created my paypal account back in 2016 to use specifically online with no connections to a bank or anything like that. Due to the changes in the US policy, I am now trying to close this account as this is no longer possible and I have no desire to setup a cash account tied to a bank.  The issue is this account was setup with a nickname instead of my real name and currently has a balance so I am unable to close it.  Despite my extreme desire to not give people my real info, I provided them with the requested documents for a name change so I could withdraw my money and close the account.  I received a response stating they required a legal name change form/ marriage license/etc.  I am unable to provide this info as the name has never legally existed in the first place.   After informing Paypal of this, I simply received the same stock form letter asking for a legal name change form.

Does anyone hear know how I can just get my money out of this account so I can close it and be done with this headache of a policy?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KajiraAura 

If you opened a legal financial account with a nickname then the account does not belong to you as you would not be able to supply any documents to prove the name on the document is the same as your paypal account name.

The funds and account belong to the person with that legal name (nickname).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.