How to accept recurring payments from buyers who don’t have a PayPal account?

ihnatsi
Contributor
Contributor

We have Website Payment Pro activated on our profile... How can we allow our customers to subscribe for recurring payments without a need to create paypal account?
We want to achieve a result described on https://merchant.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=merchant/erp_overview in the "Subscriptions & Recurring Payments" section.
We want to be able to accept recurring payments from buyers who don’t have a PayPal account...
Any helpful information would be appreciated.
Thank you!

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello ihnatsi,

There are two different ways you can set  up

You can set up recurring billing on your website with Express Checkout and Website Payments Pro. Both Express Checkout and Websites Payments Pro require a developer with API programming ability.

If you offer Express Checkout and recurring payments, customers can pay with their PayPal account. If you offer Websites Payments Pro and recurring payments, your customers can pay without a PayPal account, using their debit or credit card.

Here's where to find directions on how to integrate Express Checkout and Website Payments Pro with your website:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click "Merchant Services."
  3. Click "API-Express Checkout" or "Website Payments Pro API" under "For Developers."
  4. You'll be provided with integration information and documentation.

Alternatively, you can create a "Subscribe" button for a quick way to accept subscription-type payments on your website. You can use the "Subscribe" button to bill customers on a regular basis, charge membership fees, or offer subscription services. We provide the HTML code which you copy and paste in to your website's code.

Here's how to create a subscriptions button:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click "Profile."
  3. Click "Create New Button" under "Selling Preferences."
  4. Choose your button type.
  5. Enter your button information and click "Create Button."
  6. Click "Select Code" to select the HTML button code.
  7. Copy and Paste the HTML code in to your HTML code.

The main differences between a subscription and recurring billing are:

• Recurring Payments integrate with PayPal via APIs. Subscriptions integrate with PayPal via HTML.
  • Recurring Payments allow your customers to checkout at cart level with multiple items. Subscriptions allow your buyers to complete their purchase for one item or service at a time.
  • Recurring Payments support merchant management, including limited modification, suspension / reactivation, and billing on outstanding amount.

You can set up recurring billing on your website using Express Checkout. Express Checkout integration requires a developer with API programming ability.

Misty

Login to Me Too

elearningbros
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info. You mention using reoccuring payments without the user needing to have a PayPal acct. What about subscriptions? Can I have users signup for a subscription without creating a PayPal acct?

Login to Me Too

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello elearningbros,

You can accept recurring payments from buyers who do not have a PayPal account by signing up for Enhanced Recurring Payments for Website Payments Standard. The cost is $19.99 and would allow you to process regular recurring payments, automatic billing, and installment plans on your site. I hope this helps!

Smiley HappyMisty

Login to Me Too

web-lever
New Community Member

I was just told by your support staff that merchant payment standard accounts can now accept subscription payments without upgrading.

Is that true? If so, how do I modify my Subscribe Now button on my website to work?

Login to Me Too

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello web-lever,

Welcome to the Forums.

Yes you can accept Recurring Payments however the Buyers do need to have a PayPal account. You can find more information about accepting recurring payments here. I hope this makes sense.

Smiley HappyMisty

Login to Me Too

KevinDB
New Community Member

Thanks Misty.

So for Enhanced Recurring Payments (ERP), it is possible for users to sign up for subscription payments without a PayPal account. How can these users (who do not have a Paypal account) cancel their subscription? I have looked through the documentation and cannot find it.

Thanks,

Kevin

Login to Me Too

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello KevinDB,

If your customer does not have a PayPal account, and they would like to cancel their subscription they would contact you directly to cancel.

If they are not able to contact you, they can contact PayPal customer support by going to the PayPal website and clicking on "Contact Us" at the bottom of any page.

I hope this helps.

Smiley HappyMisty

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.