what to do when buyer lies about item being broken but it's not

dragynmyrlin
New Community Member

Buyer bought a camera that worked perfectly (it was my personal camera).  After 32 days, they contacted me and said the lens was broken internally and that it made a terrible screeching noise.  I said I didn't know why it would, it worked perfectly when I shipped it.  I asked why she waited so long and she said she was away for 3 weeks.  I told her to send me a video of the camera doing whatever was wrong, showing the serial number.  I wanted this info as I could see she was a buyer and seller of camera items and I truly did not believe her.  She sent nothing.  Filed a paypal claim, and I asked for her to send the video as proof it was not as described (broken).  She did not.  She escalated the claim, still only saying it was broken but submitting no proof.  Paypal told her to send it back on her dime for a refund, even though she provided no proof.  I got it back today, and as I thought, it works perfectly.  So Paypal is going to refund her the money (including shipping I'm sure), so I'm already out the shipping fee, and I have a perfectly good working camera that she lied about.  How can they do that?  The open case says they are reviewing it, and I have no where to contact or put in more of my side that she lied and it works perfectly.  Can I file a counter claim or do anything?  I plan on relisting it, but I lost the shipping fee already and that's not fair on my end.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dragynmyrlin 

In the event of an item received but not as described dispute it is always one persons word against the others.

As paypal never see the item you sent or what the buyer says that they received then they tend to favour the buyer BUT the buyer has to return the item back to you trackable to prove delivery before you have to refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

HomeGoodsLiq
New Community Member

I had the same problem with future_trade_llc on eBay, they bought an old Sansui Graphic Equalizer, worked perfectly as it was my own and I loved the machine but just wasn't using it anymore so I decided to get something for it and maybe it could make someone else happy using it.

The buyer claimed it wasn't working properly a week later and when I asked exactly what was wrong, he just kept repeating that it wasn't working properly, sold it for $60usd, cost me $30 to ship it, cost me another $24 to have it returned after I accepted the return.

The buyer was pretty hostile to get a return shipping label asap, I sent it a couple days after return request was opened, it wasn't shipped by the buyer for more than a week later after I sent numerous messages asking why it hadn't been shipped yet, not once did I get a reply, I finally got it at my usps po box.

The horror I had to endure when I got back to my office, the equalizer was completely opened and destroyed, I open a file on eBay and posted photos of the results of the return, eBay gave the buyer have the sale back $30usd and said it couldn't say if it was the buyer that caused the damage, I even had a pic of the box from the post office as I received it to show the box was not damaged in any way on route to me, nonetheless, I have a completely destroyed equalizer which I've had for many years which now is garbage, out $54usd for an item I originally sold for $60, plus fees from eBay and PayPal which were never refunded to me, so basically, according to eBay, it cost me $54usd to smash my own equalizer which as of a month ago never thought I would of sold it in the first place, shame on me.

My eBay store is closed and I refuse to sell anything over $25 on eBay any more, I was beyond ripped off, by the company I trusted to do business with and the buyers who know how to play the game of "eBay is for suckers".....this abuse from buyers happens way too much. This was the final straw.2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Login to Me Too

PisaOrange
Contributor
Contributor

Hello All:

What recourse do I have?

I sent a perfectly functional and practically brand new iPhone to the buyer.

They made the BS claim that there was water damage and that the camera flash did not work.

I was incredibly peeved that anyone would like about this, and then I see that this <removed> buyer has done this to other sellers: claimed there was a problem with an item (another iPhone), asked for a refund (and received it), then either failed to return the shipped item, or -- as is my case -- sent back an envelope containing nonsense -- NOT the originally-shipped/sold item.

So, not only did the buyer steal from me (and others), but they get away with it, and PayPal twiddles their thumbs?

What recourse does a seller have?

I've sent numerous messages to PayPal that only receive vague and robotic responses.

In essence, nobody seems to be looking at the FACTS.

Very, very frustrating, and I’m inclined to simply donate items versus going through the hassle of dealing with grifters via an entity (PayPal) that could care less if sellers get **bleep** or not.

Argggh!

Paul

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.