Paying back

ycferrer18
New Community Member

So I sold something online and the buyer paid for it using Paypal. All is good until they have to verify (tracking number etc.), now I received an email from Paypal saying that I need to expand my account into a business user (notice of account limit) so that I could access the buyer's payment, I then received an email from Paypal that the last buyer/merchant should send additional payment ($700) so that the limit of my account would be expanded to $1000. Eventually, the buyer said that he sent $700 already and he wants me to send it back. Due to security purposes, Paypal temporarily held my account so I need to wait for 24-48hrs to be able to send money again. Now, the buyer was asking me to pay the money through a steam gift card. Is that possible? Should I be worried about this? Is this a scam? This is my first time using Paypal so I really hope someone could help me with this. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ycferrer18 

Yes be very worried as you are being SCAMMED.

You NEVER have to send money to receive money.

You do NOT pay anything to upgrade an account.

Paypal would NEVER tell you to send gift vouchers for any reason at all to accept money.

Paypal payments are instant and even if on hold will SHOW in your paypal balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPalMichelleW

Hello @ycferrer18,

As previously stated, it does not appear that you are dealing with PayPal. Here's an article from our Help Center on how to recognize fake or phishing emails and where to report them. Thanks!

MichelleW

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.