Customer Paying via Goods Option but wants to collect. Am I covered?

BethBobby
New Community Member
Hey all!
I posted a saddle for sale and someone commented asking for my email address as they had a client looking for a saddle. The cell number was from Quebec and the lady is saying she lives in the Yukon which are nowhere close to each other.
She saw pics of the saddle on Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist) and emailed asking questions about the saddle as you usually would. 
Then she sent me this email:
Sound good I'm just asking about it to make sure its in good condition. The price is okay by me, i would love to pay you via PayPal, the PayPal charges is on me... If my offer is accepted, you can get back to me with your PayPal email and your full name, i would arrange pick up after payment is received.

Full Name:
Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Home Address/ Pickup location Info:
Direct Phone number:
Thanks, Hannah

I replied that she was more than welcome to just bring the cash with her upon collection of the saddle as I was in no hurry to sell it, plus I am in Ontario, hours away from Quebec and a 2 day drive from the Yukon. I told her that it may be more beneficial and cheaper for her to just ship the saddle. She replied with this:

Well i'm here in AN ADDRESS WAS GIVEN HERE, but the address is not to a home, it is to a random warehouse, I will be deploying a pick up  who will be coming for the pick up as soon as we have completed and finalized this deal via PayPal....

Does anyone else get weird vibes. My gut just doesn’t feel right about it. I definitely believe that this is some form of scam, but if it is not a scam I’m concerned that if she pays via PayPal goods and services, she’ll come and pickup the saddle and then claim the money back and then PayPal will side with her because I’ll have no tracking number or shipping proof. I understand that PayPal is the safest method and have no objections to it, but if she wants to come and collect it, why can’t she just bring cash? I wouldn’t bother with PayPal if I was picking something up in person.
Let me know what you think. If she did pay via paypal and then tried to claim the money back after collection stating that I never sent it, would PayPal cover me? 

I'm not in any great rush to sell the saddle so honestly I'm considering just walking away from the sale as my gut it telling me that this isn't normal.

Thanks all!
Beth
Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.