Selling item. Buyer paid deposit by 'GIFT' payment. Is this safe?

slpj
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am selling an item. The buyer is collecting in person and came to see the item.

I asked for a deposit.

The buyer said he didn't have cash on him, but asked if I had a PayPal account.

As I do, he said he would pay me the deposit by a 'gift' payment, and that would not attract fees.

He did this, and the payment went through. I withdrew the money form my PP account, to my Bank account.

But I have now read that the buyer can simply change his mind and claim this money back. Is this true? The buyer wants to pay the FINAL FULL ammount the same way. But I am concerned he can claim the money back AFTER he has collected the item.

Can someone please tell me if receiving money by 'gift payment' is a safe and secure way to sell an item?

Many thanks.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@slpj 

You should never use paypal for an item that is to be collected or personally delivered as you have 0 seller protection.

Your buyer can collect the item and then file a dispute for an unauthorised transaction OR do a chargeback via their card issuer and as you would not have a tracking number to prove you sent the item to the buyers paypal registered address then you would lose the dispute.

That is why Ebay (when you sell on Ebay) give you the option of 'cash on collection' and you can state in your decription that that is the only payment you will accept. If a buyer pays with Paypal then you are allowed to refund that payment and re-state 'cash on collection'.

That way you have cash in hand / no wait / no fee / no risk of a dispute.

Personally and this is just me, I would refund the buyer and request cash on collection especially if its a pricey sale.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

slpj
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you very much for that advice. The total price is 700 quid. I advertised by word of mouth not ebay. I have no other experience in selling items. I did ask for cash but he seemed honest. But I will take your advice and refund him, and tell him its strictly cash. Thanks again
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.