Why Does PayPal Limit Passwords to 20 Characters? Inquiring for Enhanced Account Security

FledPaul
New Community Member

Dear PayPal Community,

I recently attempted to change my PayPal account password to a much longer and more complex one for added security. However, I was surprised to find that the password limit is currently set to only 20 characters.

As we all know, the security of our online accounts is of utmost importance, especially when it comes to financial transactions. Longer and more complex passwords are generally considered to be more secure, and it is common practice for many online platforms to allow for significantly longer passwords.

Therefore, I am reaching out to the PayPal community to inquire about the rationale behind this limitation on password length. I believe that allowing longer passwords would greatly enhance the security of PayPal accounts and prevent unauthorized access.

If you share my concerns and believe that longer passwords should be allowed on PayPal, I encourage you to voice your opinion in the comments below. Additionally, if any PayPal representatives are present in this community, I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide us with more information on this issue and whether there are any plans to increase the password length limit in the future.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

nezu69
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

if your password includes numbers, uppercase and lowercase letters it will take at least some billion years for someone to crack it. so unless your 20 character password is something stupid like "passwordpasswordpass" you are very safe..

Login to Me Too

Traveler2233
New Community Member
Size matters. The math is undeniable and unless it cost PayPal more to allow 20+ character passwords, then they should allow it. Plus the peace of sleeping peacefully at night is priceless https://bitwarden.com/blog/how-long-should-my-password-be/
Login to Me Too

bushy555
Contributor
Contributor

Having a 20 char limit is just plain dumb, stupid and moronic.

If I want to have a 400 bit password length, then let me have it !!

More of a risk having that limitation of 20 chars - and then there is more of a risk having or enabling a buffer overflow to execute code.
Let it be free length.   Paypal need an external audit and a slap-in-the-face immediately.

In the next few years, Quantum computing with AI will crack that 20 char limit down to hours. Why put a restriction on the length to chance it?

Login to Me Too

bushy555
Contributor
Contributor

you are very safe..

Nice to be naive ain't it.
And nekmint "My facebook account has been hacked".

24 char passwords should be a bear minimum these days dude!

Login to Me Too

rushi__
Contributor
Contributor

I am totally with you on that. I remember very well that in 2014/2015 when I created my account I was already forced to use an older password because all the ones I used were too long.

Nearly 10 years later and this is still the limit??? What the hell??

Nowadays I use 20-28 char. passwords, but I am also considering moving to pass-phrases everywhere I can...

Sad I cannot replace PayPal at the moment, otherwise I'd be considering other options.

It has to change.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.