What's the difference between name change options?

Cleretic
New Community Member

I'm writing up guides to help people with the process of changing their names in various services, and I'm hitting a bit of an uncertainty with Paypal's, where I can't find any clarification on this.

Namely, I want to be able to properly describe the technical difference between the 'Change your name after a marriage, divorce, etc.' and 'updating your name'. I know there's a difference in terms of what ID is requested (multiple different forms of identity confirmation vs. just a photo ID), but I'm wondering if there's less visible differences, maybe in where the name change is reflected; perhaps the legal name change goes everywhere, while 'updating your name' still keeps it the same in some less visible parts? I'm not sure and I can't find any information on the differences beyond the obvious ID thing.

Anyone have any idea on the differences here?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Cleretic 

Updating your name normally means a 2 character typo OR if its a nickname ie Rich instead of Richard but the name has not been legally changed.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.