Paypal won't let me close my account

earthshoes
Contributor
Contributor

In late January, someone managed to access my PayPal account (even though I have two-factor login)  and attempted to charge all of my cards 748 for a Dyson, but were unable to do so because I keep my cards locked when not in use.  I replaced all the cards except the debit card because it looked like the bank had blocked it before it even got to my account. 

In early February, I forgot to lock my debit card after using it and the next day the 748.00 charge hit my checking account.  

Because my past experience with PayPal having my back (and others) has not been positive, and because it was such a large amount, I opted to go straight to my bank to filed a dispute, in part because I knew they'd issue a provisional credit while they were investigating the situation. 748 is half my husband's paycheck. I can't afford to lose that much. 

My bank notified PayPal that they were investigating this. PayPal immediately sent me a message telling me to change my password (I already had). They also let me know that the bank had notified them andthat they couldn't investigate it unless I got the bank to drop the investigation, which they stated would be expedited.   

No thank you. I know that trick. 

Today, my bank let me know that they'd found in my favor and that it was definitely fraud. 

PayPal has continued to list as an unresolved dispute that they are investigating (even though they aren't). I would very much like to close my PayPal account. I no longer trust this platform to protect my privacy.  I removed all my cards and my checking account in February. But they won't let me close it because of this unresolved dispute. 

Any advice as to how to handle this? I could ignore the account, but am uncomfortable with leaving it open as it still contains phone numbers and my address. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

ReggieStrieker
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal Customer Service:

(a U.S. telephone number)
[Removed]

p>

[Removed]

[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]/p>

4:00 AM PST to 10:00 PM PST Monday through Friday
6:00 AM PST to 8:00 PM PST Saturday and Sunday

Login to Me Too

earthshoes
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for trying, Reggie. It is somewhat ironic that PayPal won't allow you to post their CS number. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@earthshoes 

You can't close it unfortunately with unresolved disputes.

If you want customer services I have put the options below however paypal do not allow phone numbers on here as scammers have been known to put fake ones on this forum to encourage folks to ring them pretending to be customer services and help when its not at all and folks have been scammed.

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, (during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out).
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.