email recieved telling me i failed to make a payment!

deej81
New Community Member

i didn't try to make any payments how do i find out if someone else tried this action or if the email is fraud

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Lou10
New Community Member

I had a similar email saying that the bank account had been removed from my paypal account, but after logging in I noticed it was still there.

I did wonder if perhaps emails were being sent out in error as it didnt say how much or when they tried to take the money, also I have a zero balance.

Anyone else having this problem?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi guys,

It is hard to know if these emails were genuine emails sent to you by PayPal. I can however provide you with some information so that you can try and determine this yourselves.

Here is some information to keep you vigilant against phishing and spoof attempts.

Preventing spoof and phishing:

Spoof and phishing are illegal methods to collect personal and financial information by using fake emails, websites, and phone calls. With stolen information, criminals could commit credit card fraud and engage in other illegal activities.

Phishing emails attempt to steal your identity by tricking you into revealing your password or other personal or financial information. These emails often link to websites that try to get you to enter credit card numbers, social security numbers, or account passwords.

Ensuring that emails are really from PayPal:

Check the greeting. We always address you by your first and last name, or the business name on your PayPal account.

See if the email asks for personal information. A PayPal email will never ask you for any of the following:

•  Bank account numbers
•  Debit and credit card numbers
•  Driver's license number
•  Email addresses
•  Your full name
•  Your password, or answers to your PayPal account security questions

Check for attachments. We will never send an attachment or software updates to install on your computer.

If you think you've received a fraudulent email, forward the email to spoof@paypal.com and then delete it from your mailbox.

Take our 'Fight Phishing Challenge' to learn 5 things you should know about phishing. You'll also see what we're doing to help fight fraud every day.

1. Log in to your PayPal account at www.paypal.co.uk
2. Click 'Safety Advice' at the top of the page.
3. Click 'Learn more' under 'Safety Tools' near the bottom of page.
4. Click 'Learn more' under 'Fighting Fraud' in the middle of the page.
5. Click the 'Take the quiz' link under 'Fighting Fraud' on the left hand side of the page.

Every email counts. By forwarding a suspicious-looking email to spoof@paypal.com , you can help keep yourself and others safe from identity theft.

I hope this helps,

David.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.