is this possible

nuke
Contributor
Contributor

BACK STORY:

I recently posted an item for sale on craigslist... i was then contacted by a buyer out of state. he requested the cost of shipping and total for item to be sent to him via invoice thru paypal. he says he has made the payment however paypal doesn't reflect any payment. i told him so and 5 minutes later i had an e-mail from what appears to be paypal(but something doesn't look quite right about it). any way the e-mail from alleged paypal, states the funds are being held until i forward the items usps tracking number to a third party website. before the funds will appear as available in my paypal account.

MY QUESTION TO THE PUBLIC NOW: Does paypal have any such buyer and seller protection program of this kind?

or is this guy a scammer trying to get me to send my item to him for free with the alleged promise of a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

BigKahuna97
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Another scam but great job not falling for it like so many do.

Login to Me Too

robertswww
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You can read up on the Craigslist Scams at the following thread...

Need help with a craigslist sale:
https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Online-safety/Need-help-with-a-craigslist-sale/td-p/39207

Login to Me Too

linhthuy131
New Community Member

this is one of those scammers....if he sent you money then it shouldn't be pending with or without a tracking number. Report this buyer to paypal and craigslist.

if you fall if it then you are going to lose money and time. the buyer will probably deactivate their paypal and email address after they know you have sent the package. if the paypal email looks fake it probably is. I have receive so many reports of craigslist scams in the police department. If you have lost money, there may not be anything the cops can do, but reporting it could help others avoid future scams.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Absolutely a scam and a popular one.  I hope tht you didn't sign in to your Paypal account from any email link.  If you did, you just gave the scammer your Paypal password.

NEVER sign in to your Paypal account from an email link.

And, to make your Paypal account bullet-proof, visit the security center in your Paypal account and buy one of their security keys for $5.  It puts a separate, randomly-generated numerical password on your account that changes every 30 seconds and cannot be hijacked, even if the scammer has your password.

Login to Me Too

nuke
Contributor
Contributor

no i never sold him the item... i first posted my topic for feedback... than as i got it i finally just stop accepting and replying to his e-mails

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.