Possible SCAM from Paypal wants MTCN number from Western Union then gives money to seller?

animeguy23
Contributor
Contributor

I had sold a Nikon D90 DSLR thru Craigslist.com (which is "connected/tracted" w/ Paypal.

The item is shipped and buyer sent extra money $700.(I dont know why in the first place)??!!!. and that extra money must be wired back W.U. (attached MTCN code??) then full money will be given in my paypal account! I havent seen any money yet. I am not going to send $700. to a foreign country! I dont have that amount in the first place!

Seems like I got **bleep**ed between Paypal and buyer!! HOW?

I lost my Nikon, money, and time. thanks alot PAYPAL!!

I wonder if it is somebody in Paypal that is doing this SCAM!

I have notified the local FBI on this matter.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

AVR
New Community Member

I believe I currently my be engaged in a trasaction of a similiar nature. The buyer claims to be in the navy and wants to purchase the item and send to his father in the UK. The sale amount was $2600. The buyer sent however $3100. Then paypal sent a confermation that said they had colected the funds from the buyer but they were being withheld until I transfered 500 of my own money to the shipper (located in the usa) paypal said once this was done and the MTCN and password were provided the funds would be released and placed in my paypal acount. I need some advise. please

Login to Me Too

phmuddragon
Contributor
Contributor

I've had the same thing happen to me. The items were a little over 200 dollars and the buyer supposedly  sent that plus 400 dollars extra for shipping. Only I can't get it until I send 400 dollars via WU to some address in the UK!?!?!? What makes these people think that I have that kind of money? It doesn't sound right to me. I need help!

Login to Me Too

Amanda411

Hi All,

It sounds like you may be dealing with someone who is trying to take advantage of you.

Remember, unless you can see the transaction in your PayPal account History log, you have not been paid.

If you have been paid and the buyer has sent more than the amount agreed upon, you can easily refund the difference by clicking on the "Refund" link in the transaction details.

Please checkout the PayPal Security Center for more information and fake emails and selling securely.

https://www.paypal.com/securitycenter

Amanda

Login to Me Too

kitty_37091

same here i thought i was selling my item and low and behold (but thank goodness) i couldnt find the mtcn and searched it and it brought me here i feel very lucky to have found out before i messed up big time the sell amout was 2200 he offered me 2300 for my troubles in haveing to send another 400 to the shipper via western union total amount he said he sent was 2700 and i recieved 2 emails from paypal saying payment confirmed and another saying they needed the mtcn number however when i checked paypal they had no records of the transaction well atleast i figured it out thanks to you guys so a great biiiiig thanks to you all

Login to Me Too

kitty_37091

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.