Personal Info Oops

Adamsjune
Contributor
Contributor

I received an email regarding updating my Paypal Account information by April 14, 2010 or I would be subject to cancellation. I immediately logged in via the email sent and updated by credit info address etc, then realized the password used was not the one I normally use of this account, yet the update was allowed. Now concerned that I may have given my personal info to some other source.Thought I'd seek advice and alert at the same time.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

robertswww
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Lucky for you that you gave that scammer the wrong password, as that is a SCAM email with a fake PayPal link/site.

Never click on a link in a Bank account or PayPal email as they may be bogus. Also, never download an attachment to these scam emails. Always enter the site URL directly yourself in your web browser.

As a general rule, a legitimate email from PayPay will address you by your real name. Phishing emails typically do not include your real name, unless the phishing attack is orchestrated by someone who has previously done business with you, or otherwise knows your PayPal identity.

Send the fake email to: spoof@paypal.com

Forward Fake Spoof Emails:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/securitycenter/antiphishing/PPPhishingReport...

You can hover over any hyperlinks in an email and look at the URL in your status bar to see where they actually point to (but don't click on any). Alternately, view the message source code to see where the hyperlinks take you.

NOTE: For your own protection, it is a good idea to educate yourself about all the online phising scams that are out there.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Yeah, that's what we call a "phishing email".

NEVER use an email link to go to your Paypal account - always go there directly from your browser.

In the meantime, you've given someone enough information to do an identity theft on you, most likely.

Go to your bank and have them put a notice on your credit report that you may be at risk for identity theft and that NO LOANS or credit are to be extended unless you personally prove your identity with photo ID.

Get a credit report on yourself from equifax (Google the name) - it's free if you do it the slow way, I would recommend spending the $15 to get an instant report.  Also get instant reports from the other credit reporting agencies - there are 2 or 3.  I would also suggest that you get the credit watch services - they inform you if any credit inquiries are being made for you, which can alert you to fraudulent loans being taken out in your name.  It's cheaper to prevent the problem than solve it afterwards.

Time is of the essence here - scammers move quickly.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.