Paypal, we want a default to allow credit card as primary funding source

telemonster

Paypal, we wanrt the ability to select credit card as primary funding source.

Coming from eBay auctions I never get the chance to select where the payment is funded from.

Also, your protection is bogus. Credit cards offer real protection that is absent from ETF.

Also I do not trust you, and plan to setup a separate savings account to protect my primary savings account.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Melohawk
Contributor
Contributor

I don't understand your statement:"I never get the chance to select where the payment is coming from".  Before you ever send a payment, a page comes up that shows you where the payment will be taken from and allows you to authorize that it be done that way.  Are you saying that you have selected your funding source and that Paypal doesn't honor it?

Login to Me Too

homemn
Contributor
Contributor

You don't understand.  Paypal does not allow you to change your "default" funding source to credit card. So if you don't ever want to use a checking account for payment, too bad. Because it will always select your checking account even though you never want to use it.  Problems?  Yes!  It's too easy to miss the small print stating "change your funding source" when in the middle of a transaction.  Paypal says, don't worry, we'll charge your credit card if your bank account doesn't have the funds.  They don't mention that banks charge OVERDRAFT FEES (my bank charges $35 each time). 

This policy is terrible.  They need to stop this practice and stop strong arming us for access to our bank accounts.  I'm surpised this is even legal....

Login to Me Too

Melohawk
Contributor
Contributor

You're wrong about Paypal never changing your funding source. My funding source is my checking account and I want it to STAY that way as I set up a separate account just for online payments. However,on two purchases that I recently made, Paypal has charged my credit card without notifying me or asking me.  There was no reason for them to do this as there were ample funds in the account to cover these purchases and the seller accepted EITHER echeck or credit card. 

I attempted to get through to a live person at Payapal and when I finally did, I was routed around to different people who told me different stories of why this happened. Nothing made any sense and I told them they were just covering up a glitch in their program. But, as usual, Paypal is ALWAYS right and nothing you can say or do will change it.

Unfortunately Paypal is one of the few remaining payment services that still allows automatic transfer from one account to another through the system account. Most all services are doing it with ONLY credit cards.  If I used my credit card as often as I use the echeck, my credit card shuts down and I am told I have to call them and tell them I am using it because I so rarely ever use the card and they think that it has been stolen if there is a lot of activity.  This makes a problem all the way around and has made me almost abandon online shopping. However there are many items that I can not purchase anywhere near my location and must make these purchases online.

Between a rock and a hard place and the result is that I will get charged for some erroneous error or a fee for something that I didn't authorize or I will have constant trouble with either the Paypal service or the over-active thyroidial account monitors at the credit card company. . . .it's a bank - what do you expect.

Login to Me Too

tmcnewyork
Contributor
Contributor

I always change my funding source to credit card as a matter of rule. The checking account that I have affiliated with PayPal was opened specifically for that purpose and I only keep a few dollars in it. No way was I going to give them access to my regular checking account.

I paid for three items yesterday through PayPal, changing my funding source to credit card as usual, but my bank called me this morning because I was getting overdrafts all over the place. PayPal ignored my funding source selection and tried to withdraw the money from my checking account. I now have $90 in overdraft fees for $36 of purchases!

PayPal... you will quickly become obsolete in my book if my lack of control over funding sources continues.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.